Sailing Towards the Falklands


Advertisement
Falkland Islands' flag
South America » Falkland Islands
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sun 2/3/08

Well I’m up another $10 from a short time in the casino last night. Hopefully that will continue later today. We had another nice dinner and one of the ships officers joined us. Turned out he had spent a year in the same area of New Hampshire as my tablemates so they had lots to discuss. After that we went to the show which was just the singers from the cast singing older songs but very good.
We gained an hour last night so I’m up a bit early but will head up to mass in a few minutes.
Today is another educational day with 3 more lectures including the first one from the Ice Captain. I’ll add more to this later today.

The first lecture today was from the woman on the Antartica Team. She talked about her experiences in the Falkland Islands where she taught for 2 years. Part of this was as a flight teacher where she’d fly to the smaller islands to do lessons with the local “camp” children. They refer to anything outside the “city” of Stanley (less than 2500 people) as the “camp” instead of country side as we’d call it.

After this lecture it was time for Bingo and we finally had a decent crowd. I got to stand up 3 out of the 4 games but didn’t win. Then I grabbed a quick burger by the Lido pool. You could really tell how much the ship was moving by the waves in the pool. I was just up there again and it’s calmed down a bit.

Unfortunately I spent some time in the casino but it didn’t go so well this time. I also got talked into joining a football pool so maybe I’ll win that (yeah right I’m not even sure what teams are playing). They are going to show the game in the Movie Theater and Sports bar and serve snacks starting about 7:30 so the Dining Room will probably be very quiet tonight and maybe only 2 of us at the table. The show is a magician so we’ll see.
There were two more lectures this afternoon. The first was a port lecture on Stanley by Ian and it was very good. We’re all hoping the weather clears up a bit so we can get in there tomorrow. It’s not looking too promising right now but we’ve been told to keep everything crossed and pray to whatever we believe in so hopefully that will work. The mass this morning was standing room only so maybe that will help. The last lecture was by Capt Toomey (I think this is the same one that was on Erin, Dennis, Mom, and Dad’s trip) and it was very interesting. He showed us Plan A for our trip into Antarctica. Last trip they actually did most of Plan A. I know from the cc board the trip before did Plan B. He said they’ve got down to plan M sometimes but that all are interesting. He’s retired from the Canadian Coast Guard and has worked on ice breakers and with ice for many many years. He said when we leave the Falklands tomorrow we change from passengers to expeditioners and not to expect too much time for sleeping this week. They do pull out to areas for the nights so people can sleep and the ship can make the water it needs so guess we won’t be up all the time. Not sure if we’ll have internet access during that time so I’ll keep writing then but may not be able to post for a few days.

Guess I’ll head upstairs and see if I can get this posted.

Bye,
Sharon



Advertisement



4th February 2008

Why they leave the immediate area
The real reason they pull away from the continent at night is to discharge the septic tanks beyond the 12 mile limit. We did have Capt Toomey, he was great, try to attend all his briefings. At the end of antiartic part of cruise he drew a map of the trip but we had to go to the front office to get a copy.
4th February 2008

They said we also have to make fresh water there too overnight. He also said they will send maps to our cabins since he used to get so many requests for them I guess they just make copies now

Tot: 0.687s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 74; dbt: 0.3146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb