Viva Ecuador!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Vilcabamba
December 21st 2007
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

boliviaboliviabolivia

one more look at bolivia
sorry for the absence dear friends and family, but we´ve been heading north fairly consistantly since my last blog entry, which i hope didn´t alarm any of you. hey there is good luck and bad luck. i just happened to run into a bit of the bad stuff. but i´m wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over it and it will all work out once i´m back in the states. bolivia is actually a beautiful country and i hope no one deters plans away from bolivia because of my salty blog. anyways.....
after a couple of long bus rides we decided to take the super highway in the sky. we´ve come to terms with the fact that the south american clock is ticking for us and we opted to spend as much time out of a bus as possible for the next 2 weeks. i can´t believe that´s all the time we got!!!
if i could fly all my friends and family to one place for a epic celebration it would be vilcabamba, ecuador!
this place has it all, mountains, water, lush forests, peaceful skies, happy people, delicious frutas, musica, hammocks swinging in a sweet breeze...i would buy a place here in a jiffy and plant
rio chilirio chilirio chili

rafting the rio chili. arequipa, peru
avocados and mangos and grow old and happy. absolutely amazing place!
we stayed at: www.madretierra1.com
check it and if you ever need some serious TLC...book it!
today i find ourselves in zamora. i saw the most amazing butterflies today! abundant, colorful and flirtatious mariposas. podocarpus national park is well worth every ounce of effort to dodge the well worn gringo path and head to zamora or vilcabamba.
us gringos are prime time entertainment for the ecuadorian crowd. after a few blows to the ego, now i actually humor the giggles, stares and blantant finger pointing in my direction. sometimes i wonder if i have been here for almost two months speaking spanish. i would like to think my spanish has improved, but i swear for the last couple days everytime i said something i would either get laughed at, ignored completey or somewhere in the middle. i´ve come to the conclusion that there is a thick jungle dialect in these parts. for instance: buenas dias, como estas? is more like: buendiacoesta? that´s basically all i picked up after several days.
the cheese here (pretty much the entire south american continent) is the consistancy of de-thawed tofu and tastes of salt.
arequipa, peruarequipa, peruarequipa, peru

plaza de armas. arequipa, peru
at the bus station, i asked if the cheese in the sandwich was really salty. the two kids just bursted into laughter. es el queso muy saltado? yeah, that´s right... isn´t it? what is soooooooooo funny? i return to my seat, in front of the store (yes the kids are still laughing) perplexed, i got out my trusty latin american spanish book. what is salty? saltado, right? well salty is salado. what the hell is saltado? saltar means to jump. so i basically asked if the queso is jumpy. ok. laugh. laugh your hearts out!
hope all is well in your part of the world!
enjoy the photos and stay tuned...
oh yes, merry christmas, happy hanukkah or other!


check out josh´s blog for more exciting details and fotos!

www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Jah-Shwa/


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

arequipa, peruarequipa, peru
arequipa, peru

sunset over arequipa, peru
pacopaco
paco

paco, the hostel pet
mancoramancora
mancora

the beautiful sands of mancora
madre tierramadre tierra
madre tierra

our room at madre tierra
podocarapuspodocarapus
podocarapus

un amigo de podocarpus
podocarapuspodocarapus
podocarapus

otro amigo
podocarapuspodocarapus
podocarapus

ecuador is orchid heaven!
podocarapuspodocarapus
podocarapus

chilly river


23rd December 2007

i miss you!
hey girl, it sounds like you are having a fantastic time. your pics make me so jealous and i wish i was there with you. i heard back from the similing lama and she says you laugh a lot. love you, roula
23rd December 2007

Love the pics
Hello dear, love the pics and reading your blog. Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year. Love mom
24th December 2007

Flowers and such
Looks like the times are good now! It is nice and snowy here so we should hit the slopes when you guys come back. I don't know what that flower is but my dad said it's apetalous dicot w/ asclepias tendencies. paz y amor ninos! Adam
25th December 2007

Happy belated Solstice!!!
...and merry christmas to you both and all that stuff. heard from Sparky about your adventures, I am gald that all is swell and that you're having fun and laughing lots (or, being laughed near) Great pics, you guys are an inspiration to us all to get out-of-doors and go see something you ahve never seen before. Be healthy.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb