Quiki and Monaqua in Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
May 21st 2008
Published: May 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: View of Quito. 31 secs
2: Mistakenly filming ourselves... 6 secs
We arrived on the 6th of May. Ecuador, new country, new continent!

We stayed in the old part of the city which is full of churches apparently all built on top of the holy sites of the indigenous people to erradicate their beliefs and replace them with Christianity...
The old city is very picturesque, we were particularly impressed by the virgin on top of the Panecillo Hill whose name we canĀ“t remember, but we liked to call her the Angel with the Beast.
Quito has some amazing vista points and we travelled to a few of them to get different panoramic persectives. One day we climbed up the Gothic Towers of the Basilica which was pretty scary actually, at least for Kiki. Another day we saw the city from the Panecillo Hill as well as from Cafe Mosaico.

Quito is situated high up in the mountains at an altitude of above 2400 meters. We even suffered from what we like to call altitude sickness. We tried to follow the local advice to walk slowly (which most Ecuadorians seem to do anyway), eat little, drink lots of fluids etc etc...
Because Quito is so high up, the weather kept changing from warm (when the sun was shining) to chilly. We also found the city to be extremely polluted which made us feel like we were being contaminated and did not want to stay too long.

We stayed at the Grand Hotel, which is not as posh as it sounds, but the staff are ever so sweet. We decided to keep the Grand Hotel as our base to leave some of our bags when going out to explore the highlands as well as the Galapagos Islands...

On the Sunday the 11th we set off to the Galapagos Islands....


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

View from PanecilloView from Panecillo
View from Panecillo

Notice the plane descending towards the airport, which is very central and how we also managed to capture a little bird to the right!
Fearless MoniaFearless Monia
Fearless Monia

Monia fearlessly climbed to the very highest bit of the towers...
View from BasilicaView from Basilica
View from Basilica

The modern part of Quito.
Monia risking her life...Monia risking her life...
Monia risking her life...

When Kiki finally made it up to the top she was shocked to find Monia sitting at the edge looking down at the city. There were no barriers there whatsoever!! Luckily she did not fall.
Fearfull KikiFearfull Kiki
Fearfull Kiki

This was as far as Kiki was able to go. She was frozen with fear. Monia kept urging her to come to the edge so that we could take a picture together, but Kiki told her to F... OFF!!!


22nd May 2008

Hello to you both!
Lovely seeing your latest pics, glad you are both having a fab time! Miss you Kris. xxxx

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb