Bartolome Island


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
July 12th 2010
Published: July 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Monday 12.7.2010 day 271
Bartolome Island
In the night the boat moved to a new location and in the morning we woke up and we were the only boat in this lagoon we had bfats and then did a visit to Chinese hat we saw sea lions and red crabs after that we did a deep dive in the lagoon and we got to swim with young sea lions they were so fun and playful. They came rought up to your face and wanted to go swimming with them. We also swam with two white tip sharks there were lots of other fish, It was a fantastic snorkel. In the afternoon we get to Bartolomé Island we had a zodiac ride to look for penguins but we did not find any we were then supposed to swim with the penguins but as there were not any I decided not to go in. We then did a hike and to the highest part of the island and took in the pure air and awesome views of San Salvador Island. We learnt about the geological history of Bartolomé, as Diego our naturalist explained its dramatic volcanic features, including unusual splatter cones. We did a group photo at the top of this island. On the way back to the boat we saw 2 pairs the rare Galapagos penguin, of which only 800 pairs exist.
Part of the Galápagos Islands, Isla Bartolomé is a remote archipelago that provides the wildlife experience of a lifetime - meet sea lions, red Sally Lightfoot crabs, marine turtles, mockingbirds and Galápagos doves. Hike up the volcanic cone and take in spectacular views of the islands, or slap on a snorkel and swim with the speedy resident penguins. This is the islands the Master and Command was filmed on.
Then we had some free time were to boat went to it next location. We did our brief on what we were doing tomorrow. Then we did dinner and all sat around on the boat and had fun with all the fellow passengers they are all fantastic people and we are very glad to be on the boat with them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 100, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



15th July 2010

travel ecuador
This small island located just off Sullivan Bay east of Santiago. Bartolome, a desolate island with few plants is the most visited and most photographed island in the Galapagos. The island consists of an extinct volcano and a variety of red, orange, green, and glistening black volcanic formations. http://www.surtrek.com

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb