Santa Fe De Antioquia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Medellin
January 5th 2010
Published: January 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

About an hour and a half outside of Medellin is a picturesque little colonial town named Santa Fe De Antioquia. Founded in 1541, it was the original settlement and was once the capital of Antioquia. On the bus ride to Antioquia through mountains and over bridges we saw some of Colombia's beautiful countryside. As well as some interesting sites, including two guys riding one bike being pulled up the mountain side by clinging to the back of a large truch carrying wooden pallettes.

The towns white washed walls and cobble stone streets have changed little in it's 400 years of existence. It's a bit of a resort town for the people of Medellin due to it's country clubs and steamier climate. We spent some time relaxing in the square and exploring the town before hiring Carlos to drive us out to Puente de Occidente in his three wheeled mototaxi.

Completed in 1895, Puente de Occidente (spanish for western bridge) is a 290 meter long bridge that spans the river Cauca. This bridge was one of the first suspension bridges in the Americas and was built by Jose Maira Villa who also helped design the Brooklyn bidge. It's now a national monument and larger vehicles are no long allowed to use it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Double riding.Double riding.
Double riding.

Double riding up a mountain the easy way.
Laura sucking back a beer.Laura sucking back a beer.
Laura sucking back a beer.

And spilling it all over herself.
Laura.Laura.
Laura.

Sometimes you gotta climb to get the best shots.
Laura 2.Laura 2.
Laura 2.

Sometimes you gotta fall.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb