The renaissance of Medellin.


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
January 6th 2010
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to visit one of the less afluent areas of Medellin, just a few short years ago this area was a cultivation zone for Pablo Escobar's army of assasins. The demise of Escobar and the introduction of the metro cable car system initiated significant social change. The once waring neighbourhoods are now relatively peaceful, with the violent death rate dropping from over 6000 in 1994 to under 400. The cable cars, the first in the world to be used as public transportation, connects the slums on the hillsides to the wealthier downtown. We traveled across the city by metro, transfered to the cable car and travelled up the hillside in under 25 minutes and for less than a dollar. The system is now being expanded to other areas as well as being copied in cities around the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Hotal Medellin.Hotal Medellin.
Hotal Medellin.

This is Elina from Finland, she was very helpful and fun.
Homeless in Medellin.Homeless in Medellin.
Homeless in Medellin.

Every morning when leaving our hostel, this couple were just bedding down for the day with thier 3 dogs. On this particular morning, there was a bit of a surprise, a litter of 8 new black puppies.


9th January 2010

Colombian getaway
Looks like you guys are having a great time. Love the pics... makes me want to go.

Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.3178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb