HOLA ZUBRICKS


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
June 13th 2009
Published: June 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

bogota 002bogota 002bogota 002

stop at the servo for a few shots of aguarriedente
Ok so my bag arrived safe and sound I could finally relax and enjoy my time in Bogota . On the wednesday we did a bit of walking tour around central bogota. Oscar lives right in the centre of it all which is great its made it so easy to get my bearings. The centre of the city is very cool the first place we saw was the old town this area is called LA CANDALERIA . All of the houses , bars and cafe's are painted in these bright yellows and blues etc. there are so many bars and great places to hang out , the vibe is great its a very bohemian part of town full of uni students and young colombians. I found this beautiful little guitar shop where this man and his son where sanding up a couple of brand new acoustics they were nice enough to let me take a photo while holding one. Our next stop was PLAZA DE BOLIVAR . In this huge plaza sits a massive cathedral the seat of congress and the palacio de justice. Its a real mix of architectural styles but very impressive. we strolled around looking like tourists but trying not to haha. around the corner is the Iglesia de SANTA CLARA. Its a beautiful old church which has been transormed ito a sort of museum the art work inside was amazing it dates back to the 16th century as well as the building its self.
We stopped at Oscars friends cafe for lunch the food was delicious and the coffee was even better Oscar was planning a bit of a night out with his mates so we headed back to get ready to hit the town.
Colombia where playing peru in football so we went to a bar/NIGHTCLUB which was partly owned by Oscars friend Dani. Oscars friends where great fun and all very keen to speak english with me. I ordered drinks a few times in spanish for us, just to keep up my practice and to get a few laughs. it ended up being a huge night we bought 3 bottles of scotch and they where all gone by 12 am and so was I. Id tell you more about the night but i cant remember much . As you could imagine thurs was a bit of a write off with the worst hangover i have ever experienced i just hung out at home and read my book. That night though we hit ANDRES! Its a steak house about 45mins out of town which from out the front looks like something out of fear and loathing in las vegas. there where lights and windmills and more lights! Oscars mates had been raving about this place all afternoon apparently it is the best place to party in all of Bogota. I would say its the best place to party in the world!!! it was pumping the dance floor was choca's with salsa dancing bogatonians and it was only 9pm we danced the night away and had the best steak i have had for ages. the best part was at the end of the night you pay 3.50 for a guy to drive your car home for you and drop all your mates off on the way ha!
yesterday we hit Cerro DE Monserrate Bogota sits at the base of a mountain which at the top has a church with a cable car running tourists up every15mins to see the city from dizzying heights. From the top you can really appreciate how huge the city is
bogota 006bogota 006bogota 006

what a party!!! im so jealous of how everybody is an incredible dancer over here . I had a crack at it though.
and how overpopulated it was by poor . The view was spectacular Oscar was so excited he had never been up there even though he lived about 5 min alk to the cable car. After we took 2000000 photos we went to a beautiful little restaurant on the cliff face a for a beer and a snack . Later that day Oscars friend Sebastian invited us to his country club( did i forget to mention that im hanging out with all the wealthy students of Bogota) where he shouted us a three course lunch and a few beers . There is such a huge gap between the rich and poor over here but they all live on top of one another not in different areas like it is in other places. Oscars uni is a beautiful modern building and 10 metres away you have all these slums and homeless people its insane.
That night we went to another club in town where a colombian popstar was having her birthday the place was going off they started off witha dj playing the usual house stuff you would hear anywhere then this marriache( not sureif thats correct spelling) band came out they had 2 trumpetts 7 violins 4 gutars and a mandolin player it was awesome. The guys told me that you culd have this band play at your house for $50 us ! we did not stay long i was getting pretty tired so we headed home for some empanadas and juice before i hit the sack.
Im being so spoiled at the moment staying with Oscar . He gave up his room for me and i get dragged around to all the best clubs and nicest restaurants you couldnt really call this backpacking but at least i will so both sides of the way things are in this country. I am really looking forward to going it alone im heading off in 3 days off to Santa Marta to soak up the sun and explore the jungle. we have some more sightseeing and a day trip to the salt mine tomorrow.

and to answer your question big ol fat ass brad. no im not sharing the bed with oscar.

HASTA LUEGO!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

bogota 013bogota 013
bogota 013

me having a crack at it.... bad dancer
bogota 018bogota 018
bogota 018

and again....
monserratte 008monserratte 008
monserratte 008

oscars unit block is the green one in the centre


13th June 2009

SORRY I DIDNT GO OVER THIS ONE HEAPS OF SPELLING ERRORS AH WELL YOU GE THE IDEA
15th June 2009

Amazing!
Sounds amazing and I'm oh so jealous! You are quite the writer, makes for a day dream in my boring work day! Stay safe and fun a muck Bradley! Love ez xox

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb