VILLA DE LEYVA


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
December 20th 2006
Published: December 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

horse ridinghorse ridinghorse riding

cowboys and cowgirls :))
Villa de Leyva is a nice colonial town 3 hours away from Bogota. It is a MUST SEE in Colombia and I am not kidding. In half an hour I managed to switch my opinion from complete and utter disappointment into the outmost desire to spend eternity in this place.

Plaza Mayor leaves you with a sour taste and the desire to flee the place without looking back. It is vast- it is said to be the largest town square in Colombia!! and when we got there it was deserted! Some mutts, some white washed buildings and no colonial flavour whatsoever , maybe just a tiny bit, anyway not enough to justify or explain this town's huge popularity amongst tourists and backpackers!!

But once you enter the first restaurant and see the patios and the paradise-like atmosphere, you are bewitched! I loved every single hostel and centro comercial-funny enough, that is how they call the handicraft places.Tourists can purchase beautiful, but overpriced hand-made ponchos, superbly knitted, hammocks, mochillas, jewelleries, pulseras, aretes,whatever your heart desires!

The restaurants are also a bit pricey but the food is delicious! We slept at La Roca and I even had the nerve to
horse ridinghorse ridinghorse riding

me and Tania, my horse
bargain for a 50.000 pesos/ room, which in hindsight I realized that was actually a bargain! Spent hours admiring and shopping for artifacts. I brought beautiful presents for Christmas and can't wait to put them under the Christmas tree!! My parents and friends will adore them! Went riding for 2 hours for only 15.000 pesos/ person! How cool is that! Nothing in the world compares to riding horses, I am very happy I kept this promise to myself and went riding one more time before leaving Colombia! Slept like a baby in La Roca and headed back to Bogota after having brunch in a nice patio.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

villa de leyvavilla de leyva
villa de leyva

one of the many beautiful patios
villa de leyvavilla de leyva
villa de leyva

one of the many beautiful patios
villa de leyvavilla de leyva
villa de leyva

ponchos and mocillas
villa de leyvavilla de leyva
villa de leyva

leaving la Roca...
villa de leyvavilla de leyva
villa de leyva

the fountain in the middle
making pulserasmaking pulseras
making pulseras

one pulsera in 30 minutes!!
villa de leyvavilla de leyva
villa de leyva

just one of the locals...


Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb