Santiago to Pucon


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
November 20th 2006
Published: November 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Folks

Flight from Paris to Santiago was fine. I´ve come to the conclusion though that along with all the security checks, passengers should be screened for halitosis and B.O. and they should be given their own compartment at the back of the plane - or even better, a separate flight! Apart from the unwelcome smells and sights things went pretty smoothly.

Arrived in Santiago last week and immediately loved the place. I don´t think I´ve ever been in such a huge city. Over 5 million people live here and if you take the funicular to the top of San Cristobal you can see the entire city. It´s a very cosmopolitan place and much more advanced than I´d expected. The main pedestrian streets are lined with designer clothes shops and almost everything you´d find on Princes Street. After Peru and Bolivia, Chile is absolute luxury. You can even drink the tap water!

So after a few days exploring the capital, we headed south to Pucon. The drive was most spectacular with the snow-capped Andes on our left and fields of wild flowers and lakes dotted in between. We arrived in an area like the Lake District but on a much larger scale. It reminds me of a cross between the Canadian Rockies and Switzerland. From our campsite we can see the nearby snow covered Villarica volcano in one direction, puffing out clouds of smoke and the beautiful glacial lake in the the other.

Pucon is just like a mini Banff (Canadian one not Scottish) with grid plan streets of wooden shops and restaurants. I hadn´t expected all the outdoor adventure and ski shops (including North Face!) and everything is half the price it is at home. Petty I don´t have room to carry some new skis.

We hired a wee boat today and rowed out onto the lake. It was hard work as we were against the wind and we just kept zig-zagging at first. Soon got the hang of it though and have now developed bulging arm muscles!

Camping so far is going quite well and we´re having great meals. Will be coming home about a stone heavier at this rate. Everything is filthy already though so hopefully we´ll find somewhere to do some washing soon.

Weather has been very good so far. It was wonderful yesterday with clear blue skies and a temperature around 26C. However, it cools extremely quickly in the evening and every night I have to wear more clothes to bed to try and keep warm. By the time we reach Ushuaia I´ll be wearing the entire contents of my rucsac! Today it´s cold though so most of us are wearing pyjamas under our clothes to keep cosy! Might just invest in a down jacket instead - I´m sure I´ll find a way of fitting it into my luggage at the end.

Heading down through the Lake District tomorrow then into Argentina. Will cross over between Argentina and Chile a few times before we start our trip up the east coast. I just love it here!

Hope you´re having fun at home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Santiago - well some of it!Santiago - well some of it!
Santiago - well some of it!

I´d need a 360 degree lens to fit in the whole city.
Camp visitors!Camp visitors!
Camp visitors!

These two wee duckling appear at our tents every time we eat. They´ve been well fed this week on porridge, rice and crackers!


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb