Game Over....


Advertisement
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Balancing ActBalancing ActBalancing Act

Rocks in Parque Ischigualasto
Last Blog fom Vina del Mar.

All adventurers have arrived back in Vina del Mar, where we left on a fantastic High Andes Adventure 36 days ago and Wow!!, what an adventure we all had.

We left La Rioja and visited the Parque Provincial Ischigualasto (Valley de Luna) with it’s unique rock structures along with the various geological strata. We get to ride our motos through this amazing National Park and visit the dinosaur museum.
thanks to it's extraordinary beauty and the abundance of flora, fauna and fossils of scientific interest, Ischigualasto was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000. The fact that it was named, along with Talampaya National Park as a World Heritage Site, confirms its exceptional, universal importance as a natural site that should be protected for the benifit of all Humanity.

The Ischigualasto/Talampaya site is the only place on the planet where you can find the complete geological sequence of the sediments from the Triassic Period in the Mesozoic Era. This period, which began 225-250 million years ago, is caracterized by the spreading of reptiles, including dinasours.
The dinasours went extinct at the end of the erea, 70 million years ago and left
Tiny air borneTiny air borneTiny air borne

Taking a quiet ride in the park?
the earth soley to mamals.
Before the Triassic times, the area was slowley being covered by new layers of rock, until approximately 65 million years ago when there was a collision of tectonic plates. This collision produced a strong pressure that caused , among other things, the birth of the Andes Mountain Range. The same collision afected the interior of the continent and pushed the sediments that covered the Ischigualasto/Talampaya area into the Sierras Pampeanas. The left the complete geological sequence of continental sediments from the Triassic Period uncovered.

On the second to last day in Argentina, we helped David celebrate his 50th Birthday with a Dawn Breaker birthday cake, which was finally consumed at lunch..Yum!.
Later in the day four very naughty boys , including one Chilean and a Birthday Boy, a Christchurch Lad and a Naki Builder, were spotted by a Policeman, just prior to a check point, to pass a truck over double yellow lines. They were pulled over and after a protracted half hour, and being relieved of US$100 each, they were allowed to go, as the two Policemen pocketed the cash....the alternative was a much higher ticket cost and a waste of hours in
Happy Birthday DavidHappy Birthday DavidHappy Birthday David

David celebrating a Happy Birthday 'Dawn Breaker' with the boys
Mendoza City and a huge paper war...

On arrival in Vina del Mar, we all got our motos power washed, in anticipation of packing up for the return shipping. We got the call from Enzo at 4.45pm, that we can take our motos to the bonded store at the wharf, so a quick round up and we were on our way. After strapping the motos to the platforms and signing various documents, except for Brian, as they had some sort of problem with the computer, or something. We returned to the hotel to shower and change our clothes and go to Martina and Enzo’s for our farewell BBQ dinner.
We arrived there around 8.30 pm but at 9.30 we loaded everyone into and onto our truck, thats what I like about this place, you can still ride on the back of a ute, as we had to go back to the customs to sign another document, as the customs staff were all going on strike the next day.
We returned to the BBQ and enjoyed our evening, reminiscing the good times and some of the difficult times on the adventure, along with a good supply of cervesa and vino
A few beersA few beersA few beers

Naki Boys enjoing a cervesa or two!
tinto. With Mad Max Murray as our driver, saw a truck load of us returning to the Ankara around 1.15 am, with the others having to wait nearly an hour for a taxi to bring them back. Tiny was struggling to fit into the little Daewoo and modifying the dash area and the meter!! Somehow Brian finished up in Rippers shower, fully dressed!!! While Rosco slept blissfully on in his own room.The next morning, saw a lot of stragglers, struggle down for breakfast. But Brian and Gerardo, were up at sparrow fart, as Brian still had to sign one paper at the customs office by 9.00am.

Because of the customs strike, we were not able to put the motos into the container that day, so it was some last minute shopping...??? at the huge Vina del Mar Mall.
I have stayed an extra day in case we could not load on the Thursday, and it was a good idea, as the customs people were off on strike, but back on deck today. I met with Enzo at the port at 9.30 am and have just returned to the Ankara hotel and it is 1.45 and we have all the
Tyred DogTyred DogTyred Dog

This is a tyred dog at the gas station.
moto’s securely locked in the container...I just love it when a plan comes together.... I would really like to thank all the significant ‘Other Halves’ that have held various businesses and house holds together while their boys were out playing with us...They were all such a great team, and they sure could ride their motorcycle...well most of the time!!
On behalf of Gerardo and myself, a great big THANKS for trusting us and making your High Andes Adventure 2009 such a great success.
Un abrazo, Rosco

Tigger’s Blog Part 10
Lo Rioja was a great city and it’s a pity I didn’t get to see more of it. David passed his bug to me and I spent the day in bed watching movies and the new Knight Rider so all was not lost. I had one good meal from there, one way to loose weight I guess. It was Easter Sunday so all the shops were shut anyway, so didn’t miss much and Brian, Tiny and Ripper changed their rear tyres. Brian is starting to nurse his rear shock with the KTM which he is trying to keep quiet on.

Most of the boys made camp on Kiwi
Sphinx ?Sphinx ?Sphinx ?

Or is that a Llama?
Corner of the square and watched the city. I did manage a sunbath on the first day and a soak in the pool to cool off which was lovely. Missed out on the follow appointment though, maybe I can catch another in Vina del Mar.

With a good sleep and some paradex so settle my tum, I had a piece of toast (would have loved more but didn’t want to push it.)

Off to see the dinosaurs today. With the sun beating down on us it was very hot and so the boys stripped off their riding jackets and put them in the truck to make it cooler riding in the park. We saw 'The Devils Marbles', (made by an under ground river and then forced up) In the Museum we saw fossils and reconstructed dinosaurs. It was very interesting.
Awesome view from our hotel of the town and the water supply. Upon reaching our hotel it was 33 degrees so a pool was spied and off they went to test the waters so to speak. (Luckily the hotel owned the camp ground as well so we they were in luck)

With corn pie (baked creamed corn
SedimentSedimentSediment

Valle Pintado
and spices and melted cheese on top) it was just what the doctor would have ordered. I couldn’t fit any more in so I headed to bed for an early one. I didn’t even hear dad come in an hour later.
I gave David back his pills and just sticking with my paradex. Good for any pain! With a huge chocolate covered cake complete with cherries and mock cream presented in the morning before leaving for the days ride and an embarrassed David as we all sung him Happy Birthday (basically at the crack of dawn- the sun was just coming up and shining through the clouds.
Dad had to escort Rip back to the hotel this morning as he discovered he had left his make up bag at the hotel. I think he was too busy hiding Brian’s hat that he forgot it.

The cake was devoured at lunch time with coffee. Thanks Dave. Yummo

With some excitement in the camp this avo when some of the boys got caught passing on a double yellow line in police check area. With the threat of licence confiscation and a fine payable in Mendoza -100km back track the
Another big RockAnother big RockAnother big Rock

In the Park
next day (not really a possibility with our tight schedule tomorrow and wanting to get the bikes crated up as well a border crossing into Chile as well it was going to be um well impossible) So finally after ¾ hour negations the boys were on their way. We waited further down the road so that we wouldn’t be incorporated. (Happy birthday to you Happy birthday to you we have a ticket for you)

With some more amazing scenery and mountain ranges in the afternoon and more photos and just a little bit of metal road to give us a send off from Argentina it was a scenic road and mountain range complete with Vicuña (wild relative of the alpaca). Even Brian’s rear shock held up. Gerardo decided to take the easier but longer kms (we had metal and was slow going for 44km took nearly two hours) and Gerardo was surprised to see Rip turn up five mins after he arrived.

With David’s birthday dinner following the briefing the beers and the Vino tento Melbec were flowing it was a great evening including speeches and lots of stories.

With an earlier rise than yesterday it wasn’t too late to bed. Just as well Brian is our time keeper and got everyone out of bed on time. Some took more than others to get their butts out. With a quick breakfast at the YPF (petrol station) we were on the road by 7.25am ahead of schedule and at the border by 8 (9am we gained an hour) It only took an hour to get all of us through the border and customs. Just as well the Argentina and Chile border were in the same building cos we ended up having to cross the lines a couple of times. We must have missed a stamp or something. We ended up with 5 stamps each on the official paper-work and only 2 in our passport. Can’t complain stated off on this trip with none so have made a pretty good effort and got 14 so far.

With a magic mountain pass to farewell us from Argentina I took the last opportunity to take some more amazing shots. Back in Chile, we had lunch at an awesome Copec gas station, these should be all through South America hot food and apparently good coffee. (First one like this one
Dinosaur feet.Dinosaur feet.Dinosaur feet.

In the Museum
magic service, food and facilities)

Making it back to the hotel all in one piece bikes and boys there were yipees of completion of safe and adventurous journey of a life time. We unloaded the bikes and truck ready to super suds the bikes and remove the dirt and grim from the bikes of the last six weeks. Then hopefully we will be able to crate them up this avo ready for customs.

With the boys and bikes clean we headed off to Enzo’s and Matrtina’s house for a BBQ. It had been a long day and with the boys final night it was a nice way to end the adventure. With slabs of meat on the cooker above the coals, fresh salad, vinos, Cevaza, lovely setting and fantastic hosts. With sleep in for everyone it was a relaxing day and also one for reminiscing of the last six weeks with photos taken.

It was the last chance for shopping today so made the most of it. Great mall down the road and hopefully I can fit it all in my suitcases otherwise I will be wearing a lot on the plane.

The best thing I
Just another DinosaurJust another DinosaurJust another Dinosaur

In the Park Museum
bought was Facial wipes (great for removing grease from hands when changing tyres. two packs were great). Also pack light (not much room in the truck) and be ready when the boys were. Body wash was a wonderful thing at the end of everyday. 300ml is good. Wear comfortable walking shoes! Bum bags are great to put everything in, including digital camera to take those opportune shots. Take lots of photos and enjoy yourself and make the most of the adventure
That’s all folks
Thanks for tuning in.

Rip’s Blog
Hi Guys,
The time is flying , have travelled vast areas and countries since last time. Huge mountain areas, some areas just nothing, ie Atacama dessert, large Tundra, Peru awesome, Colca Canyon was massive, over a mile deep in places and the Condors where out in force x 6. Beautiful, large, graceful birds got some magic pics.
720 kms these two days, both on one tank of gas with 12 kms still reading on the dash, not bad economy but going was slower with mostly metal roads. Mountainous areas with three crossings, then the dessert started, lasted basically till Paso Francisco into Argentina topped out at 4763 metres. La
GerardoGerardoGerardo

This must be good for me!
Rioja on day 34 hot as 35 degrees.
Most of us had shits but finally cleared yesterday for 2 of us. Dave had it and a head cold and a rock through the sump and misplaced wallet and .....?
He is all go again today, his shout tonight as he turns 50 today. Day off here today 990 katos and GSA new back tyre this am. Few days to go x 1200kms then pack up and home?
Cheers Rip





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

We all made itWe all made it
We all made it

Celebrating back at the Ankara
I'm Go'in HomeI'm Go'in Home
I'm Go'in Home

Brian heading home


20th April 2009

You Made It
Congratulations to all, does Rosco and Gerardo know how to plan an adventure or what. You have just completed some thing that will remain with you for the rest of your lives. Well Done.
20th April 2009

congratulations oldtimer(leo) good to see and hear you made it through the whole ordeal in one peice! from the photos i can see how the road of death got its reputation.talk to u soon

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb