Singin in the Rain!


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Angelo and SergioAngelo and SergioAngelo and Sergio

They walked out right before the game started lookin like this! AWESOME!
OK... maybe no singing... I hate rain! For a number of reasons. The top two being curly hair and rain are not friends and running in the COLD and rain sucks. So, if you didn't guess its raining here... actually for the first time since I got to Chile. Unlike the Argentines who hide under anything resembling cover when it rains the chileans take it like champs and RUN. haha.
This weekend was a good one... I hung out with my family on friday night learning about the education system, which is bad in Chile, and discussing the HUGE number of Americans here for the weekend. Yep, on Thursday 5,000 U.S. Sailors sailed into Valpo on the USS George Washington. Ok really it was 3,500 sailors plus ambassadors, staff, and friends, totally 5000. The mall was swamped with them and our planned triple date (Zach-me, Craig-and his chilean girlfriend, and Matt-and his chilean girlfriend) was quickly moved from Ruby Tuesdays to he food court once we saw the LINE OUT THE DOOR of americans at RT. We talked to a few and it turns out they set out from Virgina headed to Brazil through the Starights of Mageallen and to Valparaiso.
Craig the cookCraig the cookCraig the cook

Gillin on the balcony
All of this while doing exercises with the Brazilian, Argentine, and Chilean Navys. They were here for 4 days before heading to San Diego, Hawaii, Guam, and then being stationed in Japan. All were counting down the days (or months or years) till they were out of the Navy. Most just because they were bored. Saturday was the poker tournament. We spent all day at Matt and Craigs. I didn't play (20 dollar buy in) but 8 others did. Poor Zach was the first to lose. I spent my time at the grill, doing a puzzle, and mingling. We grilled up some yummy por chops, ribs, and choripan. Thanks to zach's parents for sending us PROPER (aka TEXAS) seasonings. Their family is a lot of fun Betty, thier mom, loves having us and so does Camilla, their 8 year old host sister. The winner was Sergio (matt and craigs host brother) and the deal was winner bought drinks when we went out that night. So with 200 bucks in hand we all went out and had a great time.

In other news, the Toma/Paro has come to an end. The students voted yesterday and decided to end it. Everyone
The money girl!The money girl!The money girl!

Yea, Crystal had the important job of collectin the cash.
thought it would last AT LEAST until tomorrow when the president comes. Tomorrow is a national holiday (no school!) remembering the War of the Pacific between Bolivia, Peru and Chile. The president is giving a sorta State of the Union Address. The streets will be backed tomorrow with parades, protests, and people. Well... unless the rain keeps up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Rollin in the doughRollin in the dough
Rollin in the dough

Sergio after the big win
And the prince you pay...And the prince you pay...
And the prince you pay...

Matt... the ALMOST winner (in literally came down to King vs. Queen) had to go out in the pimp suite
The signs that were...The signs that were...
The signs that were...

This was the front of the main building. Check out the chairs and desks stacked in front of the door.
EN TOMA!EN TOMA!
EN TOMA!

The top of one of the PUCV buildings in toma... yea thats a pirate flag.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb