Valparaiso


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Thursday. We took a double decker bus to Valparaiso and had front seats upstairs. It was about a 90 minute ride. The landscape was arid with wineries. It was relatively flat at first but got hilly. We went through a long tunnel and crossed low mountains and through an area that had suffered a very recent fire. Near the bus station is the less than beautiful modern Chilean Congress that the dictator Pinochet had built after he came to power. We took a taxi to the Pablo Neruda House on a hill with sweeping views of the old city center and the port. It is one of his three homes. It has five levels of small rooms that are packed with interesting memorabilia and architectural details. After our self-guided audio tour we set out on foot down the hillside through the narrow streets and stairways that feature many murals, some public sculpture and ceramic mosaics. We had ceviche at a popular restaurant before taking a taxi to Iglesia de la Matriz, an historic church and national monument in the heart of the old city by the port. From there we walked a few blocks to the Historic Port of Valparaiso Market with its glass-roofed atrium. We walked along the waterfront to the Plaza Sotomayor with its neoclassical Monument to the Heroes of Iquique. It faces an outdoor market and the Chilean Navy building beyond. Nearby we took Ascensor El Peral, one of the 22 funiculars in the city up the hillside and made our way to Baburizza Palace, a beautiful 1916 art nouveau mansion that became an art museum in 1971. The neighborhood has many murals. A gallery owner who had lived in San Francisco invited us to see the view from his balcony and look at the artwork by local artists. We explored the mostly residential area with its many murals, restaurants and shops.


Additional photos below
Photos: 173, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ValparaisoValparaiso
Valparaiso

Pablo Neruda statue


28th July 2022

Golly
It’s a never-ending cruise! Did Pablo Neruda’s house always have a glassed in front entrance or was that added when it became a tour stop?
2nd September 2022

Chile visit
As far as I know Neruda's house wasn't altered for tours. There is an added entrance building with a gift shop and a smaller building where the tickets are sold. There are still many pictures of Santiago that I haven't posted.
28th July 2022

Wow! So many beautiful murals and mosaics!
Thank you for sharing these photos and your blog.
2nd September 2022

Chile murals
You're welcome. I really loved them and am glad to share.
2nd September 2022

Amazing Murals
Thank you for sharing your adventures.
22nd September 2022

murals
Santiago and Valparaiso had a huge number of great murals. Could have been busy for days trying to document them all.
22nd September 2022

muras
Santiago and Valparaiso had a huge number of great murals. Could have been busy for days trying to document them all.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb