Santiago, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
March 2nd 2022
Published: June 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday. The nearest metro station was a 10 minute walk away and we took the subway train the Plaza de Armas, in the center of the old city. The large baroque Santiago Metropolitan Cathedral is there. It has a barrel vaulted ceiling and many beautiful stained glass windows. In the plaza we watched a woman lovingly caress the head of a horse who carried a mounted policeman. In another part of the park I was approached by a prostitute. We visited the nearby Chilean Museum of Pre Columbian Art. The upstairs galleries with the largest number of artifacts was closed due to the pandemic, but there is a basement room with artifacts from all the regions of the country. On the ground level facing an interior courtyard are galleries of donated artifacts on tables, most under bell jars. We walked through the streets admiring the architecture then got a takeout lunch at a popular empanada place and ate it in a park Next we visited the impressive Central Market and checked out the sculptural details and the fish markets. Across the street is Plaza Arturo Prat with a column and a multifigure bronze statue commemorating a battle. Down the street is a beaux arts building that had been a railway station which was converted to a cultural center in 1994. It was closed due to the pandemic and looked neglected. We took the subway to the Bellas Artes district and walked around the extinct volcano that is now Santa Lucia Park. At the southern end is an entrance with multiple staircases, fountains, one with a bronze Neptune sculpture, a pond, columns and a small beaux arts building. We hiked up the hill for the city views, passing a brick medieval-style gate and a small stone chapel. We had a 360 degree view with less smog than the day before. Walking back to the subway we saw a group of women folk dancing near the Academia de Bellas Artes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 94, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



12th June 2022

Santiago
We are going to Easter Island next year and hope to spend a few days in Santiago.
15th June 2022

Santiago & Easter Island
Santiago is worth a visit. I had intended going to Easter Island after returning to Santiago from Antarctica, but there were no flights due to the pandemic. I hope you have better luck.
13th June 2022

Interesting Blog and Photos
Enjoyed your blog and wonderful photos.

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb