Santiago, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
March 4th 2022
Published: September 17th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Friday. 03/04022. Santiago. Our main event was a visit to the Museo de la Memoria y los Derechos Humanos (Museum of Memory and Human Rights.) It is mainly a museum about the period leading up to the election of the socialist president Salvador Allende, the subsequent coup d’etat by the fascist general Pinochet and the following 17 years of dictatorship. It included information about Truth and Reconciliation Commissions which were established in countries throughout the world, many more than I realized. The experience was moving and troubling but hopeful since Chile managed to return to a democracy.

In the afternoon we returned to the Municipal Sculpture Park that is spread along the riverside for a better and longer look at all the art.

For dinner we went to the wonderful Restaurant Peumayén Bellavista for their featured “ancestral food.” It has a menu item that is a sampler of food from the many regions in the country.

Saturday. 03/05/22. Santa Rita Vineyard. We took the subway out to the suburbs to catch a bus to the Viña Santa Rita (Santa Rita Vineyard) mainly for the superb pre columbian museum, Museo Andina. The bus didn’t show up so with the help of a young Mormon gentleman who was going in the same direction, we got the local version of an Uber. We were too late for a tour but I bought a bottle of wine and we were able to visit the museum with its amazing collection of pre columbian art, especially the famous gold artifacts. There are also post-colonial objects there. The return trip was considerably cheaper than the ride out which led me to suspect that our “friend” who had been very chummy with the first driver, was doing his driver friend a favor by delivering tourists who could be overcharged.

Sunday. 03/06/2022. Sky Costanera, Providencia District, Santiago Santiago. We took the subway to the part of the city with the newest and tallest buildings to take in the views from the observation deck of the Sky Costanera. Also known as Gran Torre, it's the tallest building in South America.We were lucky to get a clear day where we could appreciate the spectacular views.


Additional photos below
Photos: 150, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th September 2022

murals
Amazing!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb