Scotland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 4th 2022
Published: November 20th 2022
Edit Blog Post

On August 4 I flew to Edinburgh, Scotland to visit my friend, Ron, take in the Fringe Festival and go on a road trip to the Isle of Skye.



On my first day I hiked over Calton Hill, down to the New canton Burial Ground, past Holyroodhouse and the Scottish Parliament into Holyrood Park, then hiked to the top of Arthur’s Seat for the panoramic view of the area.



During my stay I visited four art museums, all worth a visit: The National Portrait Gallery, The Gallery of Modern Art, The Scottish National Gallery and The Royal Scottish Academy.



The many Fringe Festival venues were spread around the central part of the city in spaces from tiny to large where we saw drama, standup comedy, live music, acrobatics, and the Military Tattoo. There were many musicians, acrobats jugglers, and comedians on the streets of the Old Town. The Tattoo, performed at the gate of the castle, was an extravaganza of marching bands including bagpipers in kilts, also a visiting band from Austria and a troupe of Mexican dancers in elaborate feathered (Aztec?) costumes as well as a Mexican band. There were also light projections, some with swirling patterns. Another Fringe event was an organ concert in St. Giles Cathedral, the High Kirk of Edinburgh, a Gothic style parish church of the Church of Scotland in the Old Town of Edinburgh. It is where Queen Elizabeth II lay in state before being taken to London.



One day I walked along the creek, Water of Leith, en route to The Gallery of Modern Art, through Dean Village, a very charming neighborhood in the canyon along the water’s edge. Another day I walked along Water of Leith in the other direction passing a beautiful stone pavillion then through the Stockbridge neighborhood to visit the Royal Botanic Garden. Another day I explored the old harbor town of Newhaven where Ron lives and which is now part of Edinburgh. Nearby is the district of Leith, the major port for Edinburgh, very charming and has become a tourist destination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 136, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th November 2022

Enjoying your trip thru your blog and photos...
Great photos...amazing architecture.
21st November 2022

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh. We had tickets to the Military tattoo for 2020 but obviously cancelled. I look forward to reading about your trip to Skye....its somewhere I have always wanted to visit x
28th November 2022

Edinburgh
I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Edinburgh is a beautiful city. I have some amateurish videos of the Tattoo. I can't upload them to this Website but will try to email them to you.
28th November 2022

Edinburgh
Edinburgh is a very photogenic city. Glad you like the photos. Be well.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb