Soaring through the air in Iquique


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Tarapacá » Iquique
April 12th 2009
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After G reminded me that I was on the road to self destruction, I decided I was safer at sea level, by the beach. On the bus to Iquique, Chile, I sat next to a peruvian who was obsessed with all things Japanese. He was very goodlooking, which made trying to understand him easier.

I took the overnight bus from Arequipa to Tucna (Peru), and then a collectivo (taxi) to Arica (Chile). Without warning, as soon as we crossed the border into Chile, the scenary changed. It was strictly desert. And by desert I mean I didn't see so much as a shrub or tree for 3 hours. I have never seen anything like it.

Iquique is cute. It is basically the desert that drops into the ocean. There are loads of palm trees and hibiscus. The town has a mix of old and modern buildings, clock towers and churches of different colours.

Vitamin D can do wonders. I felt deliriously happy again listening to the waves and feeling the sand between my toes. I had been making friends for 1 month non-stop (which is great!) but I wanted to be alone for a bit. No sooner was I alone, I wished I had someone to share Iquique with. S would've loved this place - with the gigantic (!) sand dune along the entire one side of the city, allowing the sunset to reflect its golden rays onto it, and especially the photographic ocean on the other side. (not to mention there was a casino on the beach!)

In the evening, as I sat on the beach drinking my beer (ok, fine ... it was a shandy), watching the most beautiful sunset, I conveniently forgot G's words and decided that having survived the peruvian bus rides and bolivian criminals, a paragliding session would be a walk in the park.

Iquique was amongst the top places on the continent to do paragliding, so I just had to. WOW WOW WOW! This was the MOST fun I have ever had doing an extreme sport! It was AMAZING. I wasn't scared at all, and the view was just beaaaaauuutiful! We flew meters over the cars, and were even higher than the birds. We flew over the large sand mountain, and the houses, peered into the apartments and then landed on the beach. It was wonderful, and I won't hesitate to do it again in Rio.

Had lunch at a wonderful little place for very cheap - 4 Aussie boys took me there. They are travelling South America and chasing the surfs.

Travels: Going to San Pedro de Atacama (A.V's recommendation). The Atacama is supposed to be the driest desert on earth.

Health: sick, sick, sick. Fever, cold, flu .... I don't know WHAT is going on here!

Ego: Chilean men love blondes. I got more compliments walking in the street than 3 years with S. Hmmm, I could easily live here... *ahem grin*


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb