EOD Program


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 10th 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The week of orientation has ended. It has been a week full of ‘pedagogy’ talks and a great deal of contradictory information. We had talks about cultural differences, what to expect, responsibilities in the school/home, microteaching, and health and safety. The presenters were nice enough, but many presentations were receptive. The best part is when a Chilean is explaining - although they know English, there explanation can be much more forward than one is used to hearing. Por ejemplo, “If there is a tsunami, the wave will go back, then the first one come, then the second, then you die…and then another wave” or “be careful here, we have already 8 babies made in this program.” As part of our culture lesson we have to get used to people being forward, so if a Chileno calls us gordita (fatty) it’s a sign of caring - they seem to pick out the feature that you are probably most self conscious about and that becomes your new nickname? Also, if you spend time alone - they will think your unhappy and will ask you what is wrong until you want to be social. I, as an American value my personal space greatly, so I will have to adjust quickly.

Overall rating: ***


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb