South America - Santiago and start of cruise


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
January 19th 2010
Published: January 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone
Just remembered how to use our travel blog site ! Got an Internet account now on the cruise ship.

Arrived in Santiago Chile on the 15th Jan 2010 with very few hitches (Di lost a jumper at Sao Paulo airport during transfer - oh well). Flights were excellent except they kept feeding us and giving us champagne!
Stayed at the Marriot in Santiago, lovely hotel, very luxurious. Managed to see some of the city - went to a local park and used the funicular railway to the top for some great views. The city is very modern, clean and massive (pop about 6 million), we liked it. They had the presidential candidate elections the day we left (Sunday) so everything was closed Sat eve!! Had a nice meal in the hotel though.
The transfer to the ship was very smooth, down to a fine art. We have a suite and consequently our own butler who brings us tea, appetisers and anything else we want! (Can't get used to it). We've eaten in the Speciality restaurant which was stunning and last night we were invited to the Captain's Table with some of his officers and met some nice Americans. Lots of passengers from the USA, Canada and Germany, fewer from UK. Saw a Broadway show last night, had cocktails in the Martini Bar and did a trip to the Lake and waterfalls at Puerto Montt today (we actually got on a bus with some others!!). Beautiful waterfalls and rapids and two enormous volcanoes (2500m high). Everything is exceptionally well organised and we seem to have acquired VIP status so keep getting invites to lots of things for free so can't complain. Lots to do, Michael is attending digital camera lessons (should keep David happy) and has just discovered that there is a Bourbon tasting session today at 7pm (poor thing). He lost his camera whilst boarding the ship (put it on the x-ray belt then left it behind) so spent the first hour trying to find it with no luck. He was very upset so we went to Guest Relations to report it and lo and behold one of the ship's pursers had brought it on board - phew!! It's glued to his neck now. Weather has been very good and sea is calm so far. We sail through the Chilean Fiords tomorrow and the Straits of Megellan the day after. Time to get ready for some more food!!! Will post another blog at the W/E. You can reply via our email if the blog site won't let you respond as we are picking our mail up too.
Di and M

Advertisement



19th January 2010

Nice start!
It sounds as though you're going to have fun - providing Michael doesn't lose anything else! Looking forward to your updates... and we have to admit to being very envious.
19th January 2010

Glad to hear you're having a good time and that the weather's good. Don't give the butler too hard a time. Looking forward to the next installment. Jen x
21st January 2010

Sounds Good
Hi folks, Jen told me about blog last night (while at fat club) I've put on pounds just reading the blog. Enjoy eat drink and be merry!!!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb