South America, Cruising Argentina, Ushuaia and Cape Horn


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 24th 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

S. A. Cruise


Been doing lots since the last blog! Had an eventful day when we docked in Punta Aranus, the seas were very rough and stopped the tenders from taking passengers ashore at about 9am. We had planned a day in the town but were 'confined to ship' instead. Scary watching those that took earlier tenders trying to make it back - I would have thrown up!! (Di). Had to use a large barge at 90 degrees to ship to shield the arriving tenders. We had some fun though and took a lesson in the Salsa. I (Di) attempted a 70's 'Name that Tune' quiz - got 7/20. Michael joined me for the answers! Have discovered 'Michael's Bar' (yes it is called that!) where cocktails are free from 4 - 6pm, M's taken a liking to whiskey sour and I usually indulge in Kir Royal. Met some nice folks there from USA and Canada.
Got up early on Friday (5am) to see the Glaciers along the Megellan Straits, amazing sight seeing them meeting the ocean. Spent the day in port at Ushuaia, Argentina (southernmost city of the continent). Unusal place where the Andes rise up behind the port. Took a catamaran ride through the Beagle Channel to see Sea Lions and King Cormorants so have 'trodden' in Darwin's footsteps - quite humbling to think of his achievements with so little technology. Seen Tierra del Fuego also - Michael's reminded of all those school Geography lessons!
Rose early today (Sunday 5.45am) to see Cape Horn through the mist - everyone was on deck. The Captain sounded the horn to mark the event. Capt. Reid (retired army officer and attache) is on board and gave a talk during the event. We also went to see him do a presentation on the places we visited in Chile earlier in the cruise which was very interesting. He is doing another on Argentina today which we plan to go to also. There's plenty to do (apart from eat and drink!) with shows, cinema and disco's as well as different classes. We are cruising for 2 days now heading towards the coast of Argentina from Cape Horn (get those maps out). Going to a lunch event with the Captain today and have a 'formal' (black tie) dinner on board tonight. Will post another blog when in a few days after some more port visits (Punta del Este and Montevideo) and a final blog in Buenos Aires. Can't upload photos as no USB facility on board so will bore you with photos on return! Going to be difficult to get back to normal life when we return.

Advertisement



24th January 2010

The sea sounds much too dangerous for you to move too far from the bar. Whisky Sour and Kir Royal eh? I'll have to have a word with our local hostelries to ensure they're well stocked for your return!
27th January 2010

Ann and Iain
With all the activities, cocktails and meals hope you have the energy to tango in Buenos Aires! It sounds fantastic and I hope that the rough seas subside; if not don't risk it... I was sea sick in St Lucia ( in a yacht) and there's not a lot of space in a tender!! Enjoyed hearing about your experiences and look forward to photos. Take care and have fun x

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb