Trip to Santiago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
April 12th 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

At the end of summer break i zipped down for a few days in santiago (which wasnt nearly enough to see all that i wanted to). I stayed with some friends of Tía Paty that i got to know over the summer, and many thanks to them I got to see a few of the things Ive really been wanting to:

*Pablo Neruda´s Santiago house!!! (La Chascona)
this was his house where he lived with his lover, and later wife, Matilde, probably the most famous of all of them due to the poems he wrote for her. it was partially destroyed in a political attack, and is the house that Neruda died in shortly after. Matilde preserved a lot of the house and possesions of Pablo Neruda, so it was a very cool look into the life of an incredible poet, and very likeable and humorous man... you see his sense of humor in some of the artwork and things he had around the house. the guide also explained to us why there are so many little doors and secret passageways in the house (i assumed because of Nerudas sometimes edgy and dangerous political standing)... turns out he really enjoyed surprising guests by leaving through one door and popping up from behind a bookcase and whatnot.

*The museum of Beautiful Arts
very very beautiful! i really enjoyed it... but its one of those things you have to go see for yourself i think!

*The museum under the Moneda
really interesting ancient art pieces, and also two beautiful visiting galleries- one of Frida Kahlo and the other of Diego Rivera. I have to admit that i find some of Frida Kahlos work a little graphic for my taste, but there were some really interesting pieces in there. I LOVED Diego Rivera´s exhibit though. his portraits are stunningly beautiful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb