South America. Evenchile.


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
March 21st 2007
Published: March 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello, or as the locals say, Hola, from Chlile. Really hot here as well. and cheap.

Right, got a week to do so is going to be brief, and only include details of really notable meals. In fact, should probably say that essentially the food here is brilliant, and really really really really cheap.

Christchurch proved to be a bit dull, but did go to bed early so that was nice. However malaria tablets before bed are giving me odd dreams so didnt sleep much and had to get cab to airport at 4am. Flew to Auckland (got three ham and cheese crossaints instead of one by hassling the staff), got in around half eight, and couldnt check in for flight till half three. read a bit and ate a lot. dull. tried to old flog books but noone would play.

Flight to chile was uneventful, watched casino royale, ate a spaghetti thing, discovered i couldnt speak spanish. at all. not a massive surprise really.

Got to chile, got a lot of things wrong at the customs desk but i think they gathered that further questioning wasnt going to help anyone, so let me in anyway. got accosted by lots of taxi drivers at arrivals, however had cunningly already booked a transfer, so followed the person who had my name on a sign. she gave me a ticket for the transfer bus. I lost it. in seconds. after five minutes of looking round the floor of the airport i found it again (it was in my pocket), so things were well.

Got to hostel (had no idea where it was or anything about it, was booked in england and i had no idea what it was like. Turns out i'd booked the winner of the best hostel in south america award last year, in the newly very trendy nice and cultural part of Santiago. this was a relief. got in (had been 32 hour day or something ridiculous with time difference) and slept. got up, watched film, slept again. round midday the next day i got up. Breakfast with new friend mark, then into town for a look around and some food and a cheeky pint in the main square. Bought some sunglasses. 2 pounds.

Popped back to hostel, met some other english people and some swedes, went for a look around our little district, discovered nice bar. was a saturday after all, and in fact st patricks day. That evenging we all (lots of people from hostel) found irish bar, and had a few beers there. they all then went to a chilean club, whilst i went to bed and slept for twelve hours. awesome. Next day involved lounging and sunbathing, and preparing for busy day the next day.

Up at half seven, and myself and new friend mark headed into town on the metro (i got tickets in spanish which was exciting and clever). bought bus ticket, then spent a long time waiting for the bus in the wrong place, missed the bus, and had to explain what had happened to the chiliean man who didnt speak english. eventually got new bus.

Went to a place called valpariso, decided very quickly that it was rubbish, so got the metro (which involved buying an oyster card thing and charging it etc. was tricky. Got to vino del mar. was slightly better, nothing to get too excited about. bouught a cheese pastie for 10p.

Tried a pisco sour (trad drink). was nice, so had another one with some free snacks. was strong. Eventually got back to santiago, was really tired, however, popped out for (nice) food with some new friends, before heading back to bus station to get overnight bus to Pucon. busy day. It was at this point that I realised that the padlock on my suitcase had locked and i didnt know the code, so couldnt get into my rucksack. Also the taxi was late, i nearly missed my bus, and couldnt find a hostel in pucon that had availability. all of these things worried me a little, and amused everyone else. Oh, and i left my bus ticket on the side table and someone else reminded me it was there. Am becoming a liability.

Onwards to pucon....

Advertisement



21st March 2007

marvelous matthew
Glad to see you maintaining your finely honed balance of awesome cleverness and ridiculous doziness!! And pleased to see that you are still managing to wing it through those dozy moments :-) Happy days, all sounds v good fun. Cx
21st March 2007

Travelling is getting messy!
Title was the message really! It will do you good to be somewhere that isn't Australia, New Zealand or North Wales.'Let the travelling begin.'! PS. Please do not get malaria.x
22nd March 2007

is there a god?
A 10p cheese pasty? This is brilliant news. I may have to emigrate to chilie x

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb