Santiago A Whale´s V******


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
November 11th 2006
Published: November 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

San CrisibalSan CrisibalSan Crisibal

A very large hill on the outskirts of the city
Ok Santiago...I wake up in the morning and head out for a lesuiry stroll. The city is fairly easy to orientate so i changed some money over and did a few things to prepare for my tour which starts tomorrow.

I made a bit of a mistake in going to subway for breakfast...considering my spanish is so bad i decided to pick the place where they ask you the most questions for your order (bad idea)...yes my sub was totally not what i wanted but i know you would be proud of me dave!

continued my stroll through some park when i was approached by some random dude who recognised i was a tourist... (by the way everyone in chile is chilen, i am the only white guy. and all the chilien´s are like 5 foot tall so i tower over everyone, i may as well be wearing a huge tourist sign on my head) ...

Anyways he handed me some church paper and said

he had a friend from Melbourne

and thought i looked Australian.

This was my first big clue nobody has friends from Melbourne...he must be shifty! he continued on saying he had some
DrinkDrinkDrink

Peach honey and corn drink..weird but tastes Ok
free time and would be happy to show me around his home city... of course i happily obliged.

for the next 3 and a half hours he showed me every church, museum, and statue in santiago. I ended up taking him for a drink at some cafe. then was stooged into paying him a ridiculus amount for his efforts. (it ended up being around $60 australian)

but in hind sight at least i got something for it and wasn´t rolled down some dark alley way.

all in all Santiago has some really friendly people but everyone is pretty bad at english. It is fairly safe during the day plenty of security guards etc. although at night it does get a bit more dodgy although if you are with a friend it´s cool. I have just chucked a few pics in of some of the chile highlights.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

MaryMary
Mary

The Virgin Mary on top of the mountain
TrainTrain
Train

The Train to the top of the mountain
Random StatueRandom Statue
Random Statue

A Random Statue in a park in Santiago


14th November 2006

You're alive!
Can't believe that you're actually still alive Matt. oh well, its early days yet. Have fun on the tour :)
15th November 2006

Oi
How are you doin???.. How's South America treating ya???..
28th November 2006

hope you enjoying your trip. i do not know where you went but do not confuse the chilean people with the peruvian and bolivian immigrants! be careful...and ive been to chile and not every body is 5 foot tall...
5th March 2007

i'm gonna pretend you didn't make that melbourne comment!!!!!

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb