Patagonia


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Punta Arenas
November 20th 2005
Published: May 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a long day's travelling we arrived in the much chillier town of Punta Arenas on the Chilean side of Patagonia. It was late and cold when we arrived so we were happy to find a room with a heater in it.

Next day we piled on layers of clothes and went into town, a small colonial place, very quaint. We had the most expensive hot chocolate in the world, but it was in a nice warm cafe with great views of the sea.

In the evening we went on a boat trip to Isla Magdalena, home to over 100,000 penguins! The boat ride over was freezing and our fingers felt like they could drop off! The island itself was worth enduring the chill for. The penguins were very entertaining, constantly making honking noises and waddling across the path. Once we got back to the boat we were given coffee and Pisco (South American spirit) which thawed us out a little.

The following day we headed to Puerto Natales from where we took a trip to the national park of Torres Del Paine.

The mini bus picked us up early to make the long journey there, it was a very scenic drive through the national park. We stopped off at some caves along the way where a dinosaur/bear beast called the Milodon used to live.

The bus arrived at Lake Grey in time for lunch, before boarding the boat to take us up to the Glacier Grey. Again it was very cold but well worth it, the boat took us up close to the impressive glacier which was shining bright blue in the sunlight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



5th May 2006

Thank you for the Memories
Lorna/Mark, Your trip to Patagonia reminded me so much of how I loved that place. You went to many of the same attractions I did. However, I think the time of year (March) was much better in terms of the cold. Windy and a bit bracing at times, but not near as freezing. Loved your photos. You both look great and it's such a treat to find out what you have been up to. Cheers, Lin

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb