Background: Prior to the coming of the Spanish in the 16th century, northern Chile was under Inca rule while Araucanian Indians inhabited central and southern Chile; the latter were not completely subjugated until the early 1880s. Although Chile declared its independence in 1810, decisive victory over the Spanish was not achieved until 1818. In the War of the Pacific (1879-84), Chile defeated Peru and Bolivia and won its present northern lands. A three-year-old Marxist government of Salvador ALLENDE was overthrown in 1973 by a dictatorial military regime led by Augusto PINOCHET, who ruled until a freely elected president was installed in 1990. Sound economic policies, maintained consistently since the 1980s, have contributed to steady growth and have helped secure the country's commitment to democratic and representative government. Chile has increasingly assumed regional and international leadership roles befitting its status as a stable, democratic nation.
Photos from Punta Arenas
Blogs from Punta Arenas
Latest Blogs from Punta Arenas
- April 22nd 2013 Patagonia!
by Words: 1434 Photos: 8
- April 20th 2013 Punta Arenas, Chile
by Words: 147 Photos: 5
- April 1st 2013 Apr 1 – Journée transport : Puerto Natales-Punta Arenas-Puerto Montt -Santiago: au revoir la Patagonie, cette fois-ci pour de bon.
by Words: 333 Photos: 1
- February 28th 2013 Chilean's on the Move
by Words: 284 Photos: 3
- February 1st 2013 Punta Arenas and Puerto Natalies
by Words: 958 Photos: 18
- January 28th 2013 Ship Ahoy!!! Sailing with Darwin!
by Words: 1117 Photos: 97
- January 18th 2013 SIGHTS OF PUNTA ARENAS
by Words: 313 Photos: 6
- January 17th 2013 The Parable of Penguins in Punta Arenas (or the Mating Habits of the Magellenic Penguins on Magdalena Island)
by Words: 3312 Photos: 9
- January 7th 2013 To the "Fin del Mundo" (Corboba to Punta Arenas via Ushuaia)
by Words: 195 Photos: 16
- December 27th 2012 Day 22 – Punta Arenas, Chile (Last day in Chile)
by Words: 694 Photos: 124
- April 20th 2012 Punta Arenas - Point of Recuperation
by Words: 1293 Photos: 1
- April 19th 2012 Punta Arenas, Chile
by Words: 710 Photos: 4
- March 4th 2012 Penguins!
by Words: 206 Photos: 10
- March 3rd 2012 Punta Arenas - almost Tierra Del Fuego
by Words: 235 Photos: 0
- February 29th 2012 Patagonia
by Words: 11 Photos: 67
- February 24th 2012 Argentinian Lake District
by Words: 6 Photos: 47
- February 21st 2012 Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink.
by Words: 958 Photos: 2
- February 20th 2012 The ends of the earth
by Words: 1056 Photos: 1
- January 25th 2012 Puerta Varas
by Words: 72 Photos: 0
- January 12th 2012 Heading south ahead of a storm
by Words: 260 Photos: 0