Easter Island - We are finally here!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island
January 28th 2007
Published: January 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Easter Island this morning at 7:00 a.m. This is a tender port which means our ship will be anchored out at sea and we will take a tender (small boat- our ship’s lifeboats) to shore. Easter Island, known in the native language as Rapa Nui is an island in the South Pacific belonging to Chile. It is also know as the “belly button” of the Pacific. This island was given the common name “Easter” because it was discovered by the Dutch on Easter Sunday, 1722. Many studies that the island was settled around 300-400 AD; however others believe it was not inhabited until 700-800 AD. This day on Easter Island, the MOST REMOTE INHABITED ISLAND ON EARTH, was fantastic! The Island truly is a mystery since new archeological studies are changing the previously held theories of its inhabitants and the amazing moai statues. These tremendous statues are thought to be monuments to deceased ancestors and stand on ahus, or religious platforms. At one time there were more than 1,000 of these huge statues circling the island and guarding it. Several have been restored after being toppled by warring clans, earthquakes and tsunamis. We traveled the entire perimeter of the volcanic island and we still can’t believe the beauty of the coastline’s crashing waves and deep purple water. It rained on us as we climbed the crater where the tremendous statues were carved, and then we dried out under the palm trees at a wonderful Polynesian cookout at one of the two exquisite sandy beaches on the island. The people here (only 4,000) are very friendly and welcoming. We might even want to come back one day…..but it is just so remote. There is an airfield, and planes do come from Chile a couple of times a week. We also heard that 3 or 4 ships a week visit but only a few months out of the year. It was a beautiful day and I have pictures, LOTS of pictures that I can’t wait to share with you!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb