Life back in Bio Bio


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Biobío » Concepción
October 15th 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

GeisersGeisersGeisers

Me, after bathing in the hot springs at 6 am. It was a bit chilly. Can you see some of the geisers in the background?
Hello again friends and family!

Wow, I am not sure when the last time I wrote was but anyways here we go. We spent 3 days San Pedro de Atacama, in the North of Chile after Santiago and Vina del Mar. San Pedro is a major tourist oasis in Chile especially for adventurous Europeans. The town is tiny but is full of tourists. We did alot while we there including hikes in Valle de La Luna, y la muerte. We also got to see the worlds largest open pit copper mine, this was absolutely unreal. It made me a bit sad though to see what "progress" does to the world. The Chuiciqamata mine, is also fighting against an the indigenous groups in the area over water rights. The mine needs tons of water to produce the copper where as the people need the water to survive. What more is that the state owned mine is one of the largest sources of revenue for the country. The subject is very touchy because there is a lot to gain and loose here.
Also the indigenous of this region now have a second threat to their water sources. A transnational geothermal company wants
Valle de La LunaValle de La LunaValle de La Luna

A group picture in Valle de la luna, it feels like you are on the moon in this terain, absolutely amazing. We watched the sunset there, with our tour guide who brought pisco sours, that is Chile for you.
to use a geiser area for geothermal energy. This however would ruin the geisers and once again require more water. I hope that the company does not get the ok to start drilling because the geisers were absolutely breathtaking when we went at 6 in the morning.
Other news is that things really have started to pick up here as far as classes go, and work load. The classes are very good though and I am enjoying the proffesors. I have also found a good group of skateboarders here which has been a great experience on it's own. Here are some pictures from the trip to the North. More to come later, as I still haven't processed my rolls. Hope everything is well. Take care all, and any news from you is great!

Love
Jake


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

RuinsRuins
Ruins

I forgot which indigenous group built these but they were interesting none the less.


16th October 2008

great
Jake, your travels and adventures bring out my love of adventure keep sending your blogs; hey how hot is that was that hot spa? I love you mom
18th October 2008

to much fun...
Jake....get busy and hit the books....lol. Actually keep traveling and learning...don't get hurt on the skateboard!
31st October 2008

I think you're better at this blogging thing than I was, keep it up...dude I swam in those hot springs too, way chilly! Well, probably the same ones, I do remember it was at an ungodly hour in the morning...what were they called?
6th November 2008

update
It looks so beautiful....I am learning most from Molly Elizabeth...is she in your program?

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb