Pucon


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Pucon on the 12th May and wanted to climb an active volcano. We rented a cabin with fellow navimag crew Stephan, Tracey and Maja. It was freezing cold as all it had was one small gas heater but it was great to have our own mini house. When we entered the house at first we were convinced the house was moving but then we visited the supermarket and that was also moving so we realised we were still rocking from the boat. To climb the volcano we needed good weather so while we waited in Pucon we went on a long walk to Lake Villarrica. Along the way we picked up a dog, Stephan named it mute as it would not talk to him, he followed us the whole way there. We saw some lovely scenery but took longer than we thought to get there. When we arrived the sun was starting to set. We had a short rest and then made our way back. It got dark and we still had a long way to go so we managed to hitch hike a lift back to town in a pick up truck. Mute got in the back after some encouragement and we sat in the back listening to spanish music.

The next day the weather was still not so good so we rented a car. We both tried driving on the wrong side of the road, it was great fun but a little strange. We visited lakes, waterfalls and that night some natural hot springs. It was great to be in the cold weather and get into really hot water. They ranged at different temperatures the highest being 40 degrees. Because it was so dark and a clear night we could see millions of stars, it was so beautiful.

The next day we woke up to clear weather. Finally after getting up at 6 every day we would have a chance to climb the volcano. There were lots of equipment to wear and carry. The boots were really heavy and made it difficult to walk up. There were 3 guides and were put into 3 different groups. Sam J was in group 2 and Sam D group 3. It was the hardest thing we have both ever done physically in our lives but also one of the best. It was a great feeling to be above the clouds looking down on amazing scenery. The sun was so strong and the snow was brilliant white and glistening. We had to wear sunglasses at all times because the reflection off the snow was so strong.

It took 7 hours for Sam J´s group to reach the top. At the top you could see explosions of lava. It was very difficult to breath and because of the sulphur we had to breath through a glove. The climb down was great fun but also a scary experience. We slid on our bums for most of it using our pick axe as a brake. On the way down the temperature really started to drop and part of the volcano turned to sheer ice. We were unable to walk upright and the guide had to walk us along one by one and make each of us a seat in the ice whilst we waited for the others. It was really scary experience and Tracey and Sam J were tearful and convinced they would not be able to get down. The guide was really good and took us all down on our bums in a train. We were soon all laughing and enjoyed sliding down that time the best. By this time the sun was starting to set and we were still above the clouds. It was very beautiful to see and as it turned into night we could see the clouds below and the lights of the town. Above the clouds the sun gave off a red and orange glow and then higher still the sky was pitch black with the moon and the stars. The guide pointed out the southern cross to us and we continued down the volcano finally reaching the bottom around 7pm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sam J climbing the volcanoSam J climbing the volcano
Sam J climbing the volcano

Sam J is the second one
Maja BirthdayMaja Birthday
Maja Birthday

Us in the cabin


31st May 2007

Cool!
Looks like you are having a fantastic time and doing some amazing things, I think you are both very brave! Having to share a boat with a load of cows from the prevoius blog must of been different too! I am glad you have met up with some people, must make the travelling interesting and fun! Take care of yourselves. Joanna xx
31st May 2007

longest day?
that was one hell of a climb/ hike/ mission! Must have been such a long day, but i bet you slept well. I'm still not too sure how a volcano can be covered in ice - it thought they were meant to be like 1000 degrees?! Either way, it was an incredible thing to do - well done both of you! Love, Lee x
31st May 2007

Pukon - amazing
You girls are unbelievable It must have taken you hours to input all this footage on your blogg. Again great photos, the sunset above the clouds is awesome. It must have been a wonderful experience climbing the volcano, seeing hot lava as well as being in the cold snow. Love the photo of you sliding down on your bum. Great seeing you and Sam with friends really enjoying yourselves. Even though it was a little scarey. Everyone says hi. loving your blogg. They are hoping to write soon. Carry on enjoying yourselves. Luv Mum V xxx
28th June 2007

Hello travellers :-)
Just catching up with the blog as been abit busy at work but girls you sound like your having a great time. Will be the best experience of your life I am sure!! The climb sounded like hard work but I bet you loved the sliding down, I know I would of :-) Loving the pics too, especially that sunset, must have been amazing to see! You seem to ahve a little gang going which is always good too. If only I could win the lottery and come and join you!! Well girls have lots of fun and stay in contact and look after each other Nic xxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb