Stars and Sandboards / Estrellas y Sandboards


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

San Pedro de Atacama


Licancabur Volcano from the bus, near San Pedro / Volcán Licancabur desde el bus, llegando a San PedroLicancabur Volcano from the bus, near San Pedro / Volcán Licancabur desde el bus, llegando a San PedroLicancabur Volcano from the bus, near San Pedro / Volcán Licancabur desde el bus, llegando a San Pedro

More about this 19,409 ft monster in the next blog ********* Más acerca de este monstruo de 5916m en el próximo blog
See some movies associated with this blog

When we arrived in San Pedro de Atacama we were surprised by how small it was. It is so famous,and so many people tell you how nice it is that somehow we expected something quite different. OK, the background scenery is amazing, a succession of enormous snowed capped peaks (with several volcanoes amongst them) which look straight from a postcard, but we didn't find the village in itself to be anything special.

For starters it has just one cashpoint machine, attached to a bank that only opens for 2 or 3 hours on a Thursday afternoon, and with so many tourists needing money for accommodation, food and excursions, apparently it dries up quickly. Naturally with our luck it was out of order when we arrived. With only about £5 in Chilean pesos in our pocket, we were in trouble. At the tourist information office they told us it had broken down after a power failure a couple of days before, and that they were expecting someone to come along to fix it "soon". At least we could exchange some euros we had kept for an emergency, but this money wouldn't get very far, so we kept our fingers crossed that the machine would work the next day.

That night turned out to be an awkward one. Neither of us slept too well, not only was it hellishly hot, but the air is so dry (well, it is in the middle of the desert afterall), that your lips and nose dry up making breathing rather uncomfortable. Maria had it worse with her already problematic sinuses, her nose dried up so much it kept bleeding and it took more than a month after we left the area to heal properly. Apparently this happens to quite a few people. But this isn't all that happened.

In the middle of the night Maria woke up for no apparent reason and got the fright of her life when in the little light that came in through the window she saw a figure leaving the room. Half asleep and in shock, but still convinced she had not seen a ghost, but a live one, she tried to wake up Mark, but he was sleeping like a log and with his earplugs in he hadn't heard a thing.

And Maria who was only wearing the clothes she was born in, decided that by the time she covered up and went out to investigate who the heck this mysterious night visitor was, he'd be miles away, so after checking that nothing obvious was missing and that the door was properly locked, she decided it must've been anohter guest coming back drunk and getting into the wrong room. Even so she wasn't happy. But she managed to crawl under the sheets and fall asleep again.

The next morning she went to complain to the owner, asking how come someone had managed to get into our locked room scaring her to death, but all she did was apologse ardously saying that it had just been an accident. She explained it had been another guest who had gone into our room (thinking it was empty) looking for "comfort" as he had none in his room. This just got Maria even more suspicious, wondering what type of "comfort" this woman was talking about and also wondering what kind of place this could turn out to be, until she asked and was told that "comfort" was toilet paper! We actually found out later this "guest" was actually her father but she wouldn't confess to that!

But
Another volcano from the bus / Otro volcán desde el busAnother volcano from the bus / Otro volcán desde el busAnother volcano from the bus / Otro volcán desde el bus

Could well be Licancabur from another angle, but not sure ********* Podría ser Licancabur desde otro ángulo, pero no estamos seguros
anyway, as we didn't like the place very much we decided to go elsewhere. The problem was that we didn't have money to pay for the room! So Mark went for a walk to the cashpoint and well, have you guessed? it still wasn't working. However luck was on our side after all, in the shape of Paul, one half of the couple we'd met in Bariloche and bumped into again in Valparaiso. They lent us enough money to pay for the room and also get a bite to eat, thanks again Paul & Janet! We can't get rid of you but you do come in useful ;-)

We later realised that the cashpoint wasn't really out of order, it just didn't accept visa, but did take mastercard (first time this has happened). We weren't the only people not to realise this either. Duh! How daft can you get! We blame it on the heat. But at least we've learnt to check the little sticker on the machine...

Anyway, enough rambling (not surprising we are so behind with these pages!). So, what can we tell you in this episode? San Pedro is like we've said a small village, with narrow streets and white-washed adobe houses. It is situated at almost 8,000 above sea level, though the mountains around it are real giants, some reaching almost 20,000 feet. The church is very simple, its exact date of construction is not known, though they do know it existed before 1641. A curious fact about this little church is that instead of nails they used llama leather strips for its construction. The walls are made of adobe, and the roof is made with planks of cactus wood covered in mud and straw.

On our second day, after finding new accommodation and cancelling our debt with Paul and Janet, we went for a walk to some ruins, known as the Pukará de Quitor. Pukará is an indigenous word meaning "fort", and Quitor is the name of the hill on which this fort was built. This fort was built by the atacameños to defend themselves against possible attackers. It is made entirely of stone and dates back to the 12th century. It's 2 miles from the village, and from the base to the top it has a height of 230 feet. It is made up of circular houses, also grain and food storage areas, all surrounded by a perimetrical wall. These pre-inca forts can also be found in Argentina, Bolivia and Peru.

As we'd heard rumours that the Uyuni Salt Flat were flooded (we were still in the wet season), we decided to take a day trip to the Atacama Salt Flat in case a trip to the Uyuni one wasn't possible.

Both San Pedro and the salt flat are in the middle of the Atacama desert which stretches over c.400 miles up to the border with Peru, and is said to be the most arid desert in the world. They also say that it never rains here, but the locals say this isn't entirely true, that it does rain sometimes, perhaps even 5 times a year! They also talk about how beautiful the "flowering desert" is after a downpour, and it truly must be an amazing sight judging by the pictures we've seen (do a search in google images and see for yourselves; the Spanish search "desierto florido" yields better results we think).

But not all in the Atacama desert is dry. On our way to the salt flat we we stopped at Toconao, a village in an oasis which gets its water from the melting snows of the andine mountains. Most of the houses in the village are built with a white volcanic stone (liparite) which they get from a nearby quarry. Nearby is the Quebrada de Jere, a green valley with its own microclimate that facilitates the growing of fruit. Most villagers make their living from the agriculture and selling handycrafts.

The salt flat itself wasn't anything like what we though it would be. Granted, it's a huge expanse of salt, but it's all covered in sand from the desert, giving it a dirty brown appearance so it looks more like rock than salt. We're not saying it's not worth a visit if you're in the area, it's just that if you're visiting the Uyuni one in the same trip, it will definitely overshadow this one. What we did find interesting was seeing flamingoes and birds living in a small lake within the salt flat and feeding on micro-organisms that somehow manage to survive in this barren landscape.

We really enjoyed our last full day in Chile. We started the day hiring mountain bikes and sand boards and headed out to the desert (hey,
The Atacama Salt Flat / El Salar de AtacamaThe Atacama Salt Flat / El Salar de AtacamaThe Atacama Salt Flat / El Salar de Atacama

Yes, the boulders are actually salt, not rocks ********* Sí, los pedruscos son en realidad sal, no rocas
who needs snow anyway). Passing through what is aptly called "Death Valley" we arrived at a huge sand dune where we spent the morning laughing our heads off and collecting bruises. We were told when we hired the sand boards that everyone make there way to the bottom one way or the other, this we found to be true. We were also told that the sand is soft and that falling over didn't hurt, this was definitely not true. It not only hurst but the sand burns like hell, you should've seen us tiptoeing to the top of the dune and quickly burying our feet to find the cooler sand underneath whilst waxing the boards. It was a lot of fun, but we must warn you in case you're thinking of trying it that the sand does get "everywhere".

We spent our last night in Chile at an amateur observatory. The high altitude along with the incredibly dry atmosphere (and lack of clouds and pollution) makes San Pedro de Atacama one of the best places in the world to see the night sky. Even wandering around the town at night the night sky seemed brighter than anywhere we'd been
The Atacama Salt Flat at sunset / El Salar de Atacama al atardecerThe Atacama Salt Flat at sunset / El Salar de Atacama al atardecerThe Atacama Salt Flat at sunset / El Salar de Atacama al atardecer

Lascar Volcano (18,346 ft) in the background; last erupted in April 2006! And before that in 2000 and 1993, which is why it's considered one of the most active volcanoes in Chile. But you still can climb it (no permits required) if you are brave enough ********* Volcán Lascar (5.592 m) al fondo, que tuvo su más reciente erupción en ¡abril de 2006! Y anteriormente en el 2000 y 1993. Con razón está considerado como uno de los más activos en Chile, pero puedes escalarlo (no se requiere ningún tipo de permiso) si te atreves
before. The Milky Way in particular was really visible, creating a shimmering band light across the night sky, something which is sadly so hard to see in the western world where there's so much light pollution. At the astronomer's house it was even brighter, as he lives in the middle of nowhere, you can't see a light for several miles around. The room where he received us didn't have a ceiling, it was cool!

After a brief introduction, we went outside and Mark got all excited when the astronomer pulled out what looked like a pen from his pocket and fired a powerful beam of green laser light right up to the stars. Mark immediately shouted out ''Wow! I want one of those! Where do you get them? How much do they cost?'' Of course every boy would want one, but apparently these "toys" cost up to $500 and this must've been a good one, as he used a much weedier one later on and you could really tell the difference.

After an explanation of how the night sky changes throughout the year and through the night (he pointed out how some of the constellations had moved even by the end of his explanation), he started to point out the main constellations in the Southern Hemisphere and explained how different cultures had given them different names according to their beliefs and so on. Then we went on to look at the night sky through 3 massive, high powered telescopes (2 of them motorised even) giving us views of the night sky we'd never seen before. We saw various star clusters, nebulae (looks like a grey cloud) and a red giant (a dying star in its last 100 million years of life) which is located on one of the corners of the Orion constellation. We also had the chance to look at some things that were a bit closer - Mars and Saturn. Saturn was the cutest thing, we could clearly see the rings and it seemed just unreal that something that looks like that could be just hanging there in outer space.

It was a great and highly informative and interesting experience and if you have even a minimal interest in astronomy we thoroughly recommend you join this activity if visiting San Pedro.

And after this we went back to our room to pack and get ready to leave Chile bright and early the next day. We had decided to cross into Bolivia in a 4x4 after Paul & Janet's suggestion, who had been told the drivers were "rude, got drunk and fell asleep at the wheel". Naturally we just couldn't resist this invitation to adventure!

***********************************************

Ver películas asociadas con este blog

Cuando llegamos a San Pedro de Atacama nos sorprendió lo pequeño que es. Es tan famoso y tanta gente habla tan bien del sitio que, no sé, esperábamos encontrar un pueblo más grande.

De acuerdo, el paisaje de fondo es increíble, una sucesión de gigantescos picos nevados (entre ellos varios volcanes) que parecen salidos de una postal, pero el pueblo en sí no nos pareció gran cosa. Para empezar sólo tiene un cajero automático, pegado a un banco que sólo abre 2 or 3 horas los jueves por la tarde. Con tanto turista necesitando dinero para alojamiento, comida, excursiones, etc., al parecer se queda seco cada dos por tres. Y por supuesto cuando llegamos nosotros estaba en huelga. Con menos de 10 euros (bueno, el equivalente en pesos chilenos) en el bolsillo, la situación era algo problemática. En la oficina de información nos dijeron que se
había averiado el día anterior por un corte eléctrico y que aunque esperaban que viniesen a arreglarlo ''pronto'', no podían garantizarlo. Mmmm... qué suerte la nuestra. Al menos pudimos cambiar unos euros que habíamos guardado para una emergencia, aunque no daban para mucho, y comimos en un restaurante que aceptaba tarjetas de crédito, pero aún así necesitábamos efectivo, así que cruzamos los dedos para que el problema se hubiese solucionado al día siguiente.

Esa noche resultó un poco "incómoda". No sólo hacía un calor de mil infiernos, el aire es tan seco (por algo está en mitad del desierto) que se te secan los labios y la boca se te llena de un sabor como a sal, y para colmo a mí se me secó y quebró la nariz de una manera horrorosa y aparte de no poder respirar muy bien me sangraba sin venir a cuento (al parecer esto le pasa a mucha gente, y yo que pensaba que era un bicho raro) y después tardó un mes en curárseme... un rollo. Pero esto no fue todo.

En medio de la noche me despierto sin saber muy bien por qué y con la poca luz que entraba por la ventana me parece ver una figura saliendo de la habitación. Medio dormida y apenas pudiendo abrir los ojos, pero convencida de que no había visto un fantasma, sino un vivo muy vivo, intento despertar a Mark, pero éste estaba como un tronco y con sus tapones en los oídos no se había coscado de nada.

Y una que estaba con la misma ropa con la que vino al mundo, decidió que para cuando se adecentase y quisiera salir a investigar quién era el misterioso visitante nocturno, éste estaría ya a varias millas, así que después de comprobar que el cerrojo estaba echado como era debido, y que no faltaba nada obvio de la habitación, decidí que debía ser otro huésped que volviendo borracho se había equivocado de habitación. Aún así qué mosqueo. Pero bueno, me escurrí bajo las sábanas, y al rato volví a quedarme dormida.

A la mañana siguiente le voy a reclamar a la dueña, diciendo que qué porras pasaba que alguien había conseguido colarse en mi habitación dándome un susto de muerte, y se disculpa muy fervientemente, diciendo que había sido un accidente, que había sido otro huésped había entrado en nuestra habitación (pensando que estaba vacía) buscando "comfort", ya que en su habitación se había acabado. Y yo preguntándome que si se estaba pitorreando o qué, que de qué tipo de "comfort" me estaba hablando la doña ésta y mosqueándome más todavía pensando que qué tipo de sitio era éste, hasta que le pregunto y me explica que "comfort" es ¡papel higiénico! Luego resultó que el sujeto era el padre de la chica, pero esto no nos lo confesó ella, nos lo dijo otro chico que estaba allí y se enteró de rebote.

En fin, que como de todas formas no nos gustó mucho el sitio decidimos buscarnos otro. El problema era que para empezar no podíamos irnos sin pagar, y como no teníamos suficiente dinero Mark se dió un paseo a la plaza a ver si ya funcionaba el cajero y por supuesto seguía roto. Pero no todo fue mala suerte, afortunadamente Mark se encontró con Paul, la mitad de la pareja que conocimos en Bariloche y luego nos encontramos otra vez en Valparaíso, y éste nos prestó suficiente dinero para pagar la habitación de esa noche y para comer también.

Al día siguiente el cajero automático seguía sin funcionar, y ya empezábamos a preocuparnos en serio cuando se nos ocurrió probar otra tarjeta... ¡y de repente el cajero volvió a la vida! Resulta que no aceptaba visa y no nos fijamos en la pegatina en la puerta... (no fuimos los únicos, la gente entraba y salía y no se daban cuenta tampoco)¡pero como se puede ser así de tonto! en fin, le echamos la culpa al calor...

Bueno, y todo este rollo aparte (¡no es de sorprender que llevemos tanto retraso con estas páginas!) ¿qué os podemos contar en este capítulo? San Pedro como ya decimos es un pueblito pequeño, de calles estrechas y casas blancas construidas en su gran mayoría de adobe. Se encuentra a 2.436 metros sobre el nivel del mar, pero las montañas que lo rodean son verdaderos gigantes llegando algunas a alcanzar casi los 6.000 metros. La iglesia es muy sencilla, no se conoce la fecha exacta de su construcción, pero sí que ya funcionaba como parroquia antes de 1641. Lo curioso de su edificación es que en vez de clavos usaron correas hechas de cuero de llama, las paredes son de adobe como el resto de las construcciones del pueblo, y para el techo usaron tablillas de madera de cactus cubiertas de barro y paja.

El segundo día después de encontrar otro alojamiento y saldar nuestra deuda con Paul, nos dimos un paseo a unas ruinas despues de comer. A estas ruinas se les conoce con el nombre de Pukará de Quitor. Un Pukará era una construcción defensiva (fortaleza) y ésta fue construida por el pueblo atacameño del siglo XII para defenderse de otros pueblos que habitaban Sudamérica. Se encuentra a 3 kms de San Pedro, recibe su nombre del cerro sobre el cual está construida y desde la base hasta la cima tiene una altura de unos 70 metros. Consiste de una serie de viviendas circulares, también silos, y todo rodeado por un muro defensivo perimetral. Estas construcciones preincaicas también se encuentran en Argentina, Bolivia, Perú.

Habiendo oído rumores de que el salar de Uyuni en Bolivia estaba inundado (encontrándonos aún en la época de lluvias), decidimos unirnos a un grupo al día siguiente y visitar el Salar de Atacama por si acaso no fuera posible visitar el otro.

Tanto San Pedro como el salar se encuentran en el desierto de Atacama que se extiende a lo largo de 600 kilómetros hasta la frontera con Perú. Dicen que es el desierto mas árido del mundo y que no llueve nunca, pero los lugareños nos aseguraron que sí llueve alguna vez, quizás ¡5 días al año! Además, también hablan de la maravilla que es el "desierto florido" después de un aguacero, y verdaderamente tiene que ser una preciosidad, a juzgar por fotos que hemos visto (hacer una búsqueda en "google imágenes" y veréis).

Pero no todo en el desierto de Atacama es árido. Curiosamente, de camino al salar paramos en Toconao, un pueblo de piedra blanca (liparita) de origen volcánico que sacan de una cantera cercana. El pueblo se encuentra en el oasis de la Quebrada de Jere, que se alimenta de agua proveniente del deshielo de las nieves perpetuas de las montañas andinas, y disfruta de un micro-clima propio que proporciona a la población la oportunidad de cultivar frutas y verduras. La mayoría se dedica a la agricultura y a las artesanías.

El salar en sí no nos pareció tan impresionante, quizás porque fuimos con este grupo y así tienes que seguir al guía a la marcha que éste te imponga en vez de poder disfrutarlo a tu propio ritmo, o quizás porque tienes que pasearte por caminos que han labrado ellos que le dan un aspecto algo artificial, o quizás porque los pedruscos de sal del que está formado no parecen sal, sólo pedruscos, al estar cubierto por una capa de arena del desierto que le da un aspecto bastante sucio. En cualquier caso no diremos que no merezca la pena visitarlo, sólo que si vas a visitar el de Uyuni en el mismo viaje, no luce lo mismo ni de lejos.

Sí nos pareció interesante ver los flamencos (3 especies diferentes) y otros pájaros que se alimentan de microorganismos que viven en los lagos del salar, es difícil imaginarse que ningún ser vivo pueda subsistir en un ambiente tan inhóspito.

Para nuestro último día en Chile planeamos algo divertido. Alquilamos unas bicis y unas tablas de surf y después de una breve instrucción a cargo del chico que nos las alquiló, nos dirigimos a un lugar conocido como la Cordillera de la Sal en el bien llamado Valle de la Muerte - donde nos dijeron no existe vida animal o vegetal aunque nosotros sí que vimos un pajarillo que a saber qué vino buscando en semejante lugar. Aquí encontramos la gran duna que nos habían indicado y pasamos la mañana riéndonos como tontos intentando (sin mucho éxito) no caernos de las tablas y coleccionando cardenales. Nos había dicho el chico que no nos preocupara caernos, que la arena absorbe los golpes y no duele, pero esto es mentira cochina, la arena no sólo hace daño sino que quema como un demonio, nos teníais que haber visto subiendo la duna a saltitos y enterrando los pies en la arena en cuanto llegábamos arriba y mientras encerábamos las tablas. A pesar de todo fue muy divertido, aunque también hemos de advertiros por si queréis probarlo algún día que la arena se mete "por todas partes".

Por la noche nos fuimos a casa de un astrónomo a observar las estrellas. San Pedro es un sitio ideal para observar el cielo nocturno - la altitud, la escasez de nubes durante prácticamente todo el año, y la falta de polución y de luces hace que las estrellas brillen en todo su esplendor. Incluso caminando por el pueblo, raramente hemos visto el cielo tan brillante. En particular la Vía Láctea era súper fácil de ver. En casa del astrónomo era incluso más impresionante, pues vive en medio del campo sin casas alrededor y no se ve ni una luz a varios kilómetros a la redonda. La habitación donde recibió al grupo no tenía techo, ¡una chulada!

Después de una breve introducción, salimos fuera y Mark se emocionó cuando el astrónomo sacó lo que parecía un bolígrafo del bolsillo y al apuntarlo al cielo resultó ser un rayo láser tan potente que alcanzaba las mismas estrellas. ''¡Qué guay! ¡Yo quiero uno de esos! ¿Dónde se compran, cuánto cuestan?'' Por supuesto que todos los chicos querrían uno, pero al parecer estos juguetitos cuestan hasta $500 y éste debía ser de los caros, porque luego utilizó otro menos potente y se notaba la diferencia.

Después de una explicación acerca de cómo cambia el cielo durante el año y durante la noche, empezó a señalar las constelaciones principales del hemisferio sur y explicó cómo las diferentes culturas les habían dado diferentes nombres de acuerdo con sus creencias, etc. Entonces pasamos a observar las estrellas más de cerca, con la ayuda de 3 enormes y súper potentes telescopios (2 de ellos motorizados). Vimos la Vía Láctea, varios cúmulos estelares, nebulosas, y un "supergigante" rojo, que es una estrella en sus últimos 10-50 millones de años de vida (para ser específicos, una de las estrellas de la constelación de Orión). También tuvimos la oportunidad de ver dos planetas, Marte y Saturno, que es toda una monada, pudimos ver sus anillos perfectamente, es increíble que algo tan bonito este colgado ahí en el espacio.

La verdad es que fue una experiencia estupenda, muy interesante e informativa, y se la recomendamos a cualquiera que visite San Pedro, aunque sólo se tenga un mínimo interés en astronomía.

Y después de esto regresamos a la habitación a hacer la mochila y prepararnos para dejar Chile bien temprano al día siguiente. Decidimos cruzar la frontera hacia Bolivia en un 4x4 siguiendo la sugerencia de Paul & Janet, a quienes les habían dicho que los conductores eran "groseros, se emborrachaban y se quedaban dormidos al volante". ¡Por supuesto no pudimos resistir esta invitación a la aventura!

Advertisement



19th May 2006

sand surfing :)
looks like fun please could I come over and have a go :) btw you ever going to get out of south america? Cheers, Rob.
19th May 2006

Boards
Daniel's just had his first skiing lesson....I think if he saw your pictures I'd be having to pay for boardriding lessons too! Glad the scary man went away but don't blame you for moving accom. Take care guys Spuddy
22nd May 2006

Seguid escribiendo
Hola!! Aunque algunas veces voy incluso mas retrasada que vosotros (la renacuaja da mas trabajo que que se yo), disfruto con todas vuestras andanzas. Ademas de conocer todos los sitios chulos donde vais, da una idea de todo lo que estais disfrutando y de como esta valiendo la pena la experiencia. Estais ahora en otro continente? Un besote a los dos x Merc.

Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 19; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb