The falls


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
June 30th 2012
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thank god butterflies are not deadly insects. On the way to the iguazu falls, bordering Brazil and Argentina, they are everywhere and spectacular colours. Can't believe I'm interested in these flying slugs. Anyway today turned out to be the day we discovered our boys worst fears. As we casually wander through a woodland path towards some spectacular waterfalls, higher and longer than niagra, we are befriended by several brazillian raccoons, looking for food (not us thankfully). And guess what, big brave Graeme is terrified of these long nosed hairy creatures. Kevin immediately tries to attract them towards Graeme - no surprise there. Anyway, the falls are indeed spectacular and you can get up close and walk along the raised deck right across the top. After long discussion and negotiation, Tricia bows out of the boat trip and Kevin gets the courage to step in. Bad move sort of! Following a meander through the jungle, we get our life jackets on and board the inflatable speedboat. Upon spotting a rather nasty looking large spider on the life jacket of the bloke in front of us we decide not to tell him. Better him than us. Graeme is very nervous about this potentially poisonous arachnapod , especially when it disappears. At this point the boat then decides to head full speed around the rapids. Exhilarating but scary at the same time. Brilliant as we get closer and closer to the huge waterfalls. Holy shit we're going in. It's at this point Kev loses it and is quite simply shaking with sheer terror. After a torrential soaking we come out and Kev calms down slightly. Panic over? No chance. The driver decided to then reverse into the damn falls even further! At least on the way back we went even faster down river through the rapids and Kev enjoyed it, nightmare over.
Walked back to hotel and enjoyed a few drinks with Tricia while boys surfed net. Outdoor pool effectively shut so only indoor which is size of a bath. As ever, we get on with it and we're off for a buffet and live music in hotel. Tomorrow, giving up on looking at more waterfalls, and after a visit to the bird sanctuary, off to the "dodgy" town of Foz to shop, go to flicks (English with Spanish sub titles) then a brazillian restaurant.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb