Tom´s back to his natural habitat!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo » Guarujá
July 19th 2005
Published: July 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Drive down to the beach!Drive down to the beach!Drive down to the beach!

The drive down was awsome, you wind down through beautiful mountains, then hit the beach.
After one month away from the beach I thought it was about time that I took Tom back to his natural habitat!
So we packed up and set off for a weekend of sun and sand.
We didn´t know exactly where we were going, so we decided to take the most direct route to the beach and than head south, untill we found somewhere that we liked.
We drove our way down through the mountains and caught our first glimpse of the ocean 4 hours after leaving home.
We drove past many little coastal towns which, although very beautiful, were a bit sleepy for our liking, due to it being the middle of winter.
We drove for 3 more hours just soaking up the scenary, before stoping in Guaruja.
We were very lucky because the beachs in Sao Paulo aren´t really known for their good weather, but we had blue sky and warmth during 3 whole days!!!!
On the saturday Tom had his first "feijoada" - traditional brazilian dish based on black beans, pork meat and served with rice and other stuff and, of course, the best drink to have with feijoada is caipirinha - brazilian drink made of cachaca (a
Driving South along the coastDriving South along the coastDriving South along the coast

The coastline here is amazing, in some places the mountains and the rain forest come right to the sand.
spirit derived from sugar cane), crushed limes, ice and sugar.
We stuffed ourselves silly and waddled down to the beach to relax in the sun and have some more caipirinhas.
Our weekend was going great until the following day, when everything went down hill.
We had spent all the cash we had on hand the night before, so we decided to duck out in the morning, go to the ATM and check out of the hotel. Our plan was to continue relaxing all day, but the ATM had other ideas.
I think we went to every single ATM in Guaruja and could not get money out. So we hatched a plan to borrow some money from the hotel manager for petrol to go to Santos (the next city) and try to get money from there. Believe it or not, the manager agreed and gave us R$ 50.00. We had to leave all our stuff at the hotel though!
We were praying in the car until Santos, but when we got there we couldn´t get any money.
To make matters worse it was 36 degrees, humid and Tom had a splitting headache.
In the end we had to ring my sister,
Sipping on caipirinha on the sand at GuarujaSipping on caipirinha on the sand at GuarujaSipping on caipirinha on the sand at Guaruja

Living the good life!!!!!! We are thinking of you guys.....no really, we are!
Anais, to come and bail us out.
It turns out it was the magnetic strip on Tom´s card that was damaged.
After 6 hours we got back to the hotel, took our stuff and as we were both starving we went to McDonalds only to get burguers that had no bun on the bottom. So we decided to cut our losses and go home.
We have a good laugh thinking about it now, but what a day!!


In coming episodes Rio de Janeiro and Florianopolis with special appearance by William "I washed my face in a bidet" Dear.








Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Tom and his favourite drinkTom and his favourite drink
Tom and his favourite drink

Soaking up the sugary lime goodness of this toxic beverage.
Someone has to do itSomeone has to do it
Someone has to do it

Tough job, but hey, people need clothes!
Deadduck IslandDeadduck Island
Deadduck Island

It might´ve been the effects of the caipirinhas, but we really thought this Island looked like a duck laying on its stomach
Many caipirinhas laterMany caipirinhas later
Many caipirinhas later

3 hours later, the sun is going down and Tom has got his caipirinha face on.
Another sunsetAnother sunset
Another sunset

Not the first and definitely not the last sunset photo you are going to see from us.


20th July 2005

what´s with the straw??!!
drinking caipirinha with a straw is a crime!!!
20th July 2005

Sweet Fun
Hey guys, It looks like your having fun. It looks beautiful there (whilst typing this on the sunny Gold Coast in the middle of a rain storm). I like the look of that lime sugar drink too Tommy! I'll check back with you guys real soon. Miss ya

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb