Floripa


Advertisement
Published: March 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

30 hours after leaving Campo Grande, I arrived in Florianopolis. A bizarre town with an attached island. The island is amazing beaches with a lake in the centre.
I tried to get a taxi to the hostel as it was 10pm and I was shattered but got confused again. The taxi driver kept trying to point me to it and I was trying to say, I don't care if it's close I want to pay. Then it finally clicked he was saying it was too dangerous and I have to take a taxi!
Got to the HI hostel, worst hostel so far. The room stank of piss and had 3 very loud German girls in my room. They didn't seem to know the hostel rule where you don't turn the light on if someone is sleeping. Did manage to watch ER and the OC, can someone tell me how Johnny died please? But after speaking to an American and Canadian got nervous of this lazy beach town. They had gone dune surfing and been attacked and dragged away by Sao Paolo youths with guns. They were covered in cuts and one of them had a sling. Scary!!
The next day after a morning in the post office, tryng to get decent service, I had missed check out. so got the bus to Barra de Lagoa, it took an hour! Great beach though, stayed there till dark and got home late. But got up early the next day to change to the hostel out there, much more lively and I was on a mission to find a fun St Paddy's.
Spent the day on Playa Inglesas, even nicer beach! And arrived back at the hostel mid drinking game started by 4 Irish blokes. Kings, worst game ever! Everyone was drunk before dinner was served at 8! It didn´t stop there though, we continued through. The hostel has an honesty system where you mark you drinks on a huge chalk board by your name, some people ran out of space on St Paddy´s. We left to go clubbing, no havaianas or shorts! Nightmare for backpackers. We were told the bus would let us off at the right place and I think he was glad to get rid of us, we were so loud. They haven't heard of St Paddy´s down there so didn´t know what was going on. Crazy bar looking out on the lake, with a hidden door to the club. No idea when we got back but we continued in the hostel for hours and somehow the only working DVD was porn...
Woke up at 9 the next day on the TV room sofa with people eating breakfast around me. Classy! Pretty ill so lazed about on the beach all day. We tried to get kite surfing lessons as 2 Americans were already doing that. They had gone the cheaper route with a local guy and not the school. So we found them the other end of the beach lying down. Turns out the wind was good so their bloke had decided to go out on his our and not teach them, ha ha!
More drinking with the hostel beach party, hotdogs and pastels. It was the Gary Sinise look-a-like´s (Matt) birthday so the other American drove us to some bars. We had a lot of look-a-likes in the hostel, also Will Ferrel, Egg and Ben Afleck. Got back just in time to watch England lose the rugby to the joyous cheers of the Irish. So then went down the beach as the police had already been called twice to the hostel due to the noise and it was 2am.
One more night as I was too hungover to check out the next day. Could only manage to watch broken DVDs. Was told the bus to Uruguay was at 11am so got up mega early the next day. When I got into town an hour away it turns out there was no bus until 2pm! So did a bit of cheap shopping!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb