Now That´s What I Call Travelling...


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Santa Catarina » Florianópolis
February 17th 2005
Published: February 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

NEWS FLASH....We´ve worked out how to get piccies onto the site (well Andy´s anyway) so check out the pictures and how happy we look. Just to make you all that little bit more jealous.

Anyway, we celebrated Jamie´s birthday on Monday with a romantic little cruise around Ilha Grande. Just the 4 of us, plus about 50 others...

After the excitement of getting a cake from the Swedes and a beach tennis set from the boys Jamie´s day got off to a great start. The beautiful scenery and great weather on the cruise ensured things carried on this way. Having had Happy Birthday sung to him by everyone on the boat (in a mixture of about 4 languages) the 27 year old Mr Burch had a very enjoyable day. But it wasn´t over yet...

After a few games of Plomp (a Swedish card game) and a pretty awful losing streak which meant he had to drink a fair bit of very rancid vodka, Jamie went on his merry way with the others to look for something to do. The problem with Paradise, as I´m sure Robinson Crusoe found, is that it´s easy to get drunk but a bit more difficult to find like minded people and a venue to be drunk in. Still, we had a go, but ended up on the beach outside the Pousada with the birthday boy drinking a shot of Jaegemeister that the Swedes got him and retiring to his bed, along with the equally drunk Mr Malduca.

Not to be thwarted, Andy and Joff stumbled across the only late night bar on the island, which was more of a delapidated courtyard of truth be told. Still we enjoyed a few more birthday drinks in Jamie´s honour.

After Monday´s fun and games Tuesday, our last on the island, was slightly more low key. After getting up pretty late we found a fairly secluded little beach and allowed the sun to soak up the hangovers. We enjoyed a very quiet evening in preparation for the impending travelling of the next day.

The evening was of note purely for further proof that we´ll split hairs over anything. In a bid for adult conversation (we do try from time to time), Steve suggested that we discuss who we´d invite to our fantasy dinner party. Rather than discuss the invite list, however, we spent about 20 minutes debating how many people we´d invite and what size table we would need! In the end we decided to invite only chefs as they could each supply a course of the meal, making our role a bit easier.

And that was where the fun ended for a while, as a massive 27 hours of travelling was to follow. Three buses, one boat and a minibus later we´re holed up on an island called Ilha de Santa Catarina wandering around in a bit of a daze.

To get to Florianopolis, our chosen next destination and a few miles away from where we ended up, we had to get a ferry back to the mainland from Ilha Grande, catch a bus back to Rio, catch another overnight bus to a place called Curitiba (that one was tough as it took 12 hours) and then catch a bus from Curitiba to Florianopolis. In truth, we were fairly lucky and didn´t have too much waiting around to do.

We arrived in Florianopolis at 1pm today, and negotiated our way into a 6 person appartment (for ourselves and the 2 Swedes) just off the beach. And all for only 4 pound per person per night. A pretty good result to round off a knackering few days.

Enjoy the piccies, we´re off to see what sort of nightlife the island has to offer.

AC


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



18th February 2005

RE: Bulked it
Alright boys, looks pretty nice, I have to say you guys must be eating very well. The Swedes are they female?, Any antics yet - Jonji
18th February 2005

Great pictures, shame about the models!
Well done, those 'beautifully crafted' text messages are greatly enhanced by the addition of a few pictures! Remember, on picture is worth... No, they're very good and make everything much easier to visualise. Better not send any taken after the drinkin starts though! - Jim

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb