Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro
November 15th 2009
Published: November 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The travel books all give many warnings about being mugged or robbed in Brazil. Don’t believe the hype. If you have any street smarts at all, or if you have lived in any large city, you probably already know how to reduce your chances of being a target.

The travel guides recommend using a guide to go to the soccer game. We went and were fine ($15/ticket). Just go on the day of the game and buy from a scalper in front of Maracana stadium.

They said to stay out of the “Lapa” but we went and had a blast. The only real nightlife that we could find in Rio was in the Lapa under the Aqueduct (Area around: Av. Mem de Sa 40, Lapa). There is a huge outdoor party going on Friday and Saturday nights. There are three clubs almost under the Aqueduct in Lapa (on Av. Mem de Sa) playing hip-hop. There are probably fifty bars and outdoor street parties playing twenty different kinds of music all within a few blocks of this area. Just stay near the mobs of people and walk until you hear your music. It was already crazy fun and full of people now, so I can’t imagine how crazy it gets at Carnival. Leave the jewelry, watches, and expensive cameras in your room. Bring a small camera that fits in your pocket.

If you are looking for the snooty upscale crowd, then check out Barroneti (Techno) in Ipanema. We stayed in Ipanema and we loved the area during the day and it is great for restaurants, but when the sun goes down and you want to have fun, head over to the Lapa.

Break your day into two parts. The sun is so punishing in the middle of the day that it is good to do something indoors or in the shade during the hottest time, from 1:00 to 4:00 PM. Think Siesta. If you try to power through that sun all day, you won’t have much energy for night.

The pictures of the news media and photographers were taken in front of a hotel (Fasano) just down the street from us. Madonna was staying there for 5 days while we were in town.

For great Italian food, check out Alessandro & Frederico (both the Café and Restaurant in Ipanema), Milano DOC (Ipanema), or Frateli’s (Leblon). Take the helicopter ride around Christ the Redeemer or take the trolley to the top (we did both). Go to the beach in Ipanema on a Saturday and stay and watch the sunset (Umbrella $5, chair $3, drinks 2 for $5). Walk the waterfront in Urca. Take the trolley (Bondinho Trolley) from Centro (Rua Professor Lelio Gama) to Santa Teresa and walk down through Largo Guimaraes. While in Santa Teresa, check out Museu Chacara do Ceu (Museum). Rent bikes and ride from the beach side of Ipanema to the bayside, and around the bay. We saw Maria Creuza live upstairs at Vinicius which is across the street from Garota de Ipanema which means “The Girl from Ipanema” (Rua Vinicius de Moraes 49A, Ipanema). For an over-the-top Afro-Brazilian “costume” experience, check out the show at Plataforma in Leblon (Rua Adalberto Ferreira 32, Leblon). It is overpriced but worth it if you aren’t here during Carnival. Go Hang-gliding or paragliding. We went with Paulo at “Just Fly” and loved it. He even picks you up and drops you off at your hotel or Apartment (Ph. 9985-7540, justfly@justfly.com.br). We rented our condo from RioApartmentRentals.com (1 Bedroom Condo about $100/night Ipanema). Now go have fun.

Five weeks off was a really long time. I am ready to get back to work. Kim and I learned that we need to get some hobbies for when we retire. Non-stop fun for 5 weeks wears you out. We head back to India today. On the way home, we get to see my sister Kathleen in London. We have an 8 hour layover in London.



Additional photos below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



30th November 2009

WOW - Did you check out the plastic surgery circuit?
Fantastic! Not kidding about the plastic surgery in Brazil. I hear that is the way to get it down, great price and a beautiful place to recover :)
5th December 2009

Plastic Surgery
I wanted to check out the plastic surgery but the part fell off before I could get it fixed. HA!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb