Rio Baby


Advertisement
Published: April 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone,

The first couple of days in Rio were exciting to say the least.

Well my flight to Rio was an extremely long flight. I think it worked out to be 11 hours. Altogether I was travelling a solid 24 hours between Dublin to London and then on to Rio.

As I arrived I got to immigration and there was queue to go through. Of course for some bizarre reason I was the only one picked out of the queue and I was escorted into a back room. I was quite nervous now at this stage. I thought someone may have put some drugs in my bag or something llike that. I felt I was on "Banged up Abroad". Nuts! Anyway the authorities were questioning me about my travel plans and I told them. It seemed as though it sent alarm bells ringing through their heads and they got more people in to question me and I´m literally shitting at this stage. It turns out that the fact I had no flight out of Brazil they were going to send me home on the same plane I flew in on. An interpreter was in my company at that time and I explained to her that I booked an overland trip to Lima and that I was going with GAP Adventures. The guys still couldn´t get their head around this or they wanted to play me instead and see me sweat. The interpreter turned to me and said "unless you have a flight out of Brazil booked, you will be going home on that plane you arrived in on!"

Then all of a sudden one of the guys said 10 days. They stamped my passport for ten days. I did not know what exactly that entailed, whether or not I could extend my visa. The interpreter said that I could but I´d have to do it another day with Policia Federal at the airport or some other boarder. I knew straight off ten days was not sufficient enough for my plans.

Anyway I left the airport still very unsure how to progress this visa situation. Uk and Ireland are entitled to 90 days without a visa and of course they just had to pick on poor Mick. I must have stood out like a sore thumb at the airport. Got to the hostel in Ipanema at approx midnight.

Checked into the room and met a guy called Justin. He said there were a few of the hostel were heading to The Emporio. I said to myself "feck the sleep and go out and have a few drinks" I needed them at that stage!

That was the very first time I was introduced to the Caiprinhia. I couldn´t pronounce the word for days and then nailed it. Anyway these drinks are rocket fuel to say the least. They are basically a local Cachassa called 51. I think it is about 40% proof. A glass is filled with ice and lime. Sugar is put in the bottom and then the 51 was added. Another glass is placed over the other glass and acts as a shaker. It is shook well and then a straw is placed in the glass ready for drinking. They are a bitter sweet taste and the sugar acts as a calming down agent for the 51 as it is quite bitter. Had two of those and 3 small beers. I was on my ear. :0

The following day I woke up without a hangover. Spoke to the reception and told them about the visa and they said I had to contact GAP and also would need to get back to the airport where Policia Federal were. The problem with this was that I was starting my trip on Tuesday and this was Good Friday. Everywhere shuts down til the Tuesday. I also contacted GAP twice and no response at all over the weekend. So I was in Limbo and hadn´t a clue of what to do.!

The hostel was one block away from one of the most amazing beaches I have seen. IPANEMA! Nice! The women were great wearing virtually nothing. I went to the beach with a few girls and another lad from the hostel. Karina from Norway, Angela from Ireland , Danielle from Melbourne and Villy from Denmark.

The sun was beating down. Before I knew it I was burnt within 20 mins in the sun. I also played around in the sea catching a few waves for body surfing.

Advertisement



30th April 2009

Nice Blog
Hi Mick, Nice story, we could use a little of that here in Germany! Best wishes, Larry
30th April 2009

You mad F*ck
That is classic Mick at immigration. I'd say you nearly soiled yourself. Makes no sense to me. who cares if you have no flight out. They sound like a bunch of retards. Glad to hear you are soaking in the local culture and sports. Football is more than a sport over there, its a way of life. Take care and enjoy the walking

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb