MARACANA STADIUM


Advertisement
Published: April 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Don´t mind the date on the photos. Need to get new camera. It kept on displaying same date on all photos


Maracana Stadium Local teams play in Semi Final.


Flamengo v Fluminese

Result 1 - 0 to Flamengo.

Brazil as far as I know won the World Cup here when they hosted it. It seats over 100,000 people. There was a game where Brazil were in the final and the stadium held a massive 200,000 people. It´s no longer allowed nowadays.


This football match was the highlight of Rio for me. The atmosphere was electric. I never experienced anything like ever before. Superb!

Our hostel organised tickets for the game. 70 reals which included bus transfers to and from the Maracana Stadium, A guide and also the tickets of course!

There was 18 people from Our hostel. Mango Tree Hostel Ipanema. We also picked up more people from hostels in Copacabana.


The football game itself was full of offensive play. We were in the Flamengo supporters stand chanting and singing well known anthems. I don´t remember any defender staying back to defend, and it is also a nicer game to watch instead of the usual boring shite you get back in Ireland. The crowd were chanting before and during the game. Masses of giant flags of the local sides covered the upper tiers. Red black and yellow confetti covered any availble viewing space that you had of the pitch. Fireworks going off with massive noise. Loooking around the stadium you could see the festive joy football brings to everyone in Brazil. You would think it was the world cup final that was being played. You could see the crowd jump up and down in their seats acting like a wave of chandlers moving around in a box.

All I can say is that it was an AMAZING Experience!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb