Brazil: Sao Paulo, Rio and Curitiba


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Ipanema
February 9th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all!



Sorry that it has taken us (well, me, ben is useless) soooo long to send an update but we have been super busy! I´ll try to sum it all up pretty quickly so you don´t get too bored and hopefully soon we will be able to upload pictures which can talk for themselves. Does anyone know whether if we upload pictures to the travelblog site they will stay the same quality? Sez you know that sort of thing? Any advice much appreciated then we can get them up asap and clear them off the camera.



Sao Paulo



We flew into Sao Paulo and it was tipping it down with rain for the first day we were there. So much so that we had to stumble to the nearest possible place to eat which was guess what? good ole maccy D´s! classy. The next day weather was better though and we went for a bit of sightseeing round Sao Paulo. Heard about loads of people getting mugged there so weren´t sure we´d like it but it was actually pretty cool. Loads of street sellers, cafes selling burgers for 50p, nice old buildings and cobbled streets and the biggest fancy dresss shop you would ever see in your life (cathy would be very jealous!). We made sure we got back to the hostel early though as it looked pretty dodgy in some areas at night!



Rio de Janeiro!



YEY!!! Possibly the most beautiful, crazy and most bikini clad city in the world. Pictures will do it more justice. Stayed in a pretty nice hotel near Ipanema (cue: doo dee da the girl from Ipanema..) beach where we spent the first day in the sun and jumping over the absolutely massive waves! Did LOADS in Rio like going to the infamous Copacabana (her name was lola, she was a showgirl....), watched some Brazilian kids playing really good football on the beach, went to see the big statue of christ, went up a mountain (Sugar Loaf) at night, ate fast food and I ate sushi (fast food is the only food you seem to be able to get in Rio. Oh and fresh juice which Dad would be extremely jealous of. The strawberry is deeelish.) and watched the samba street bands go through Ipanema which was brilliant but sooo crazy! You couldn´t tell if people were male or female and there were a lot of semi naked bodies in a very small area! Of course the best bit about Rio was CARNAVAL!!! We managed to get really good seats on the best night of carnival and the Sambadrome was heaving with people dancing and singing! The carnival itself was brilliant and the pictures won´t show exactrly how brilliant but there were THOUSANDS of people in each parade dressed in loads of different colours or pretending to act out a story or pretending they were animals (even lobsters with chef hats on). It wsa so good we had to stay til the very end and finally got back to our hotel at an impressive 7.30am - Ben was very tempted to go and get breakfast in the hotel before going to sleep but restrained himself. We were really sad to leave Rio and its no work all play atmosphere! On the last day Ben went hang gliding over Rio(birthday present from Martin and Joy) and had a fantastic time. He managed to take some pictures up there and you can see the mountains, skyscrapers, christ and the beach all at the same time. I was very jealous but my poor knee wouldn´t have managed the landing 😞 I settled with drinking coconut milk on the beach.



p.s. in Rio I saw THREE dogs with shoes on! Little bootees! One of them has pink shoes a pink bow and a pink lead. I took a picture of course. Wonder what colour shoes I should get Roo? Suggestions please.



CURITIBA



Were here in Curitiba (a lovely eating, drinking and playing music on the streets kind of place) as a stop off before going to the waterfalls at Iguacu (google it! Theyre amazing!) and the weather has reached 33 degrees! Phew thats hot. Luckily our hostel has a pool. And since its my birthday I spent the morning sunbathing by it and drinking cocktails. A bit of a headache now and its only 4.30. oops. More tonight will help.





So thats about it so far and sorry this wasn´t short at all I just got carried away! But I have one more thing to tell you all which only about half of you will be interested in but in Curitiba centre we walked past a shop called..........wait for it....... HUDDERSFIELD Jecidos. Selling textiles! How cool is that?! They must have googles England and textiles and come up with my beautiful hometown. See the Hudd is famous even in Brazil.



Ok will update with more exciting news soon, going to find somewhere for my birthday tea soon. Should I try and force Ben to eat sushi?



lots of love to you all, miss you and sorry for any typos!



Em and Ben



xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




p.s. Haz and Meels please send me a pic if youve got a puppy! Is he best friends with Roo yet?

p.p.s. celebrity gossip updates MUCH appreciated. please!

Advertisement



9th February 2008

hey em
our friend sean went travelin in new zealand last year n he used this site, his pics were pretty good quality when he uploaded them...hope ur havin an ace time, happy birthday!! miss you salxx
10th February 2008

HEY! sounds like you're havin a blast!! unfortunately we've got to wait 2 weeks for Toby and Ruffy's rendezvous but i can't wait!! its a shame you cant see him now cos he's soooo cute and the pics dont do him justice cos he wont stop moving about!!anyway ive added a couple of pics in the randoms 5 folder on facebook. missing you!! xxxx
10th February 2008

P.S Some celeb news: amy winehouse was going to perform at the grammy's but they wouldnt grant her a visa cos she's a druggy but then eventually they changed their mind but she then decided she wanted to stay in rehab so now shes performing over a live broadcast and shes up for like 6 awards. lindsay lohan wasnt sober for very long, shes back to her old ways out partying everynight. britney checked herself back into hospital for a while but they've let her out again and lynne and jamie spears are not happy about that. she hasnt seen her kids in weeks and probably wont for a while. but her "manager" osama lufti is now under a restraining order against the whole family she can still see adnan though. heath ledger's post mortem results revealed that he wasnt on any illegal drugs but they found he had taken a butt load of prescription meds but it was ruled an "accidental" death. quite how you can accidently pop 10 different types of pills at once is beyond me though. angelina is rumoured to be pregnant again n i think its probably true cos shes looking fatter. kirsten dunst and eva mendes have both gone to rehab (i think evas out now) both due to substance abuse. cnat really think of anything else at the moment. hope that satisfied your cravings for the time being xx
10th February 2008

Oh yeah and amy dyed her hair back to black and came out or rehab to go visit blake in prison and she looked MUCH better x

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb