POUSADA PICINGUABA


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Ipanema
January 26th 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The ViewThe ViewThe View

Paradise does not come close
I've tried to find Pousada Picinguaba on the location finder, but can't so I'll have to go under Rio for the time being. To the none traveller it's close enough.

Okay the start of our Honeymoon, booked through Audley Travel, with Malachy O'Neill


POUSADA PICINGUABA

The perfect place to unwind, Pousada Picinguaba looks out onto crystal waters and is surrounded by lush tropical gardens. Stylishly but simply decorated the rooms utilise local crafts and materials and the restaurant serves buffet style meals made from delicious local produce. Guests can also take advantage of the pousada's schooner in which they can visit local islands or go on short cruises.

Pousada Picinguaba is the perfect hideaway destination located in sleepy fishing village, and surrounded by stunning beaches and rainforest. This pousada comes recommended by various publications and we agree wholeheartedly due to its location, character and charming hosts (and friendly dog who often acts as a guide to visitors!). We would suggest that you enjoy it now before the crowds arrive. Please note that access to and from the pousada and the village beach is about a 5 minute walk up or down some steps which are not even
The BathThe BathThe Bath

The Honeymoon Suite Bath
and so may not be suitable for those with mobility difficulties. A long stretch of virtually deserted beach is about a 30 minute walk (or 30 minute kayak trip) from the Pousada.

but they still have a web site



Flight over, was long but okay. I got to sleep most of the night, thanks to my ear plugs. Where as Jackie only took 20 minute naps. Didn't get upgraded as the plane was full, however we did receive a glass of shampers each, Jackie got drunk just on one glass, and we only had about 60 minutes before we landed. Thanks Steve & Phil for putting in a good word.

The drive from San Paolo was just under 4 hours, first two hours of motorway then we head towards the coast and started to hit the Rain Forest, very hilly and such a varying type of trees, so, so many different type of trees quite amazing. We eventually hit a dense part of the forest and the road became very windy and steep. I was glad it was cloudy as I am sure some of the drops where quite dangerous.

Arrived at Pousada Picinguaba
The BedThe BedThe Bed

The Honeymoon Bed
and wow, it is hard to explain, quite, sleepy fishing village on the edge of the Rain Forest.

We arrived at our accommodation and if there was a place call paradise this would be it. The views are just breath taking and our room has a view to die for, along with a spa bath, hammock and double bed, what more would a honeymoon couple need. No TV, air conditioning, Internet or any mod cons, all the very basic. Nature at its best.


Bryan asked me to write in his journal, here goes:-

After leaving home from after a very stressful day we left for Heathrow.

Got there quickly and arrived in the airport, totally packed full of people. Had checked in online so hoped to jump the queues but the "baggage deposit" queue was just as big.

Chatted to friendly old couple taking a flight to Singapore to pass the time.

Being booked into the lounge at terminal 4 was nice and relaxing (chairs a bit upright) but nice to not have hussle and bussle.

Before I knew it we were walking to our gate, 23, I was struggling with anxiety and trying to calm myself. Eventually we queued up - I nearly hyperventilated but was determined and got on the plane calmly and happily.

Sat in my seat and thought "what was all the fuss about?"

Flight was so so long, uncomfortable but the movies were fab, especially funny are: Ratatouille, and Run Fat man Run.

Off the plane and in to the taxi to our hotel/hut I'm not sure....!

I visualised a wooded area with huts built randomly but well spaced. All linked together with mowed lawns and patterned paths. A main building and in front of it all, a large sprawling beach with 1 or 2 people on....... I wanted as our taxi neared our destination.

It was so so hilly and mountainous! Forest lined the hills on every angle and in between were deep gouges of land filled with the odd building or home or even just a car ... sat alone surrounded by woodland! How bizarre.

Our resort was to be found at the bottom of an extremely windy old tarmac road, the best roller coasters didn't have turns like our old road.

We reached a beach with a few small stalls, children playing and lots of boats lined on the beach.

The drive drove on to the sand and stopped! Turned and smiled at us... I guess we're here!

We tumbled out the car all stiff arms and tired muscles and collected our baggage.

A local was loaded up with our main bags lifted on his shoulders and walked off down the beach. We totted off after him unsure of our destination and with locals all pretending not to notice the "Newbie's arrive in smart clothes and office shoes (not the normal wear of the beach or holiday clothes!)

Up we went along a winding concrete path on each side was concrete houses seen through wire fencing, flaking paint of the walls or mysterious paths leading in to the dense forest around us.

The path changed and looked smarted in to hedges each side and ahead a large wooden gate with Brazilian for PRIVATE.

In through the gate and I breathed a breath of fresh air as said "thank go" and recognised the normal hotel facilities of a pool and walking in, a smart reception and lounge.

A friendly rep meet us and showed us to our room. A small door up more winding steps (nothing is straight forwards here) to a lovely white room simply but very sleekly filled with a large wooden bed covered in white lining, table and chairs plus a huge walk in bath!!

We're here, so happy to have made it and that our adventure can start.

Feeling rough, tired and hungry but eager to explore we unpacked changed and go down to the beach.

It's very small with a number of cafes, we grab some food at a cafe and find the locals understand English ( & hopefully forgive our inability to learn there language and thoughtlessness not bringing a phrase book!)

After a good feed I started to relax, feel tired and limbs heavy.

What am I looking forward to......

Finding that quite beach were no one else has found, sun bathing naked!!
Kayaking to a near by island
Sun bathing all day except for the odd dip
Being with Bryan, my true love and lover!
Having lots of laughs with him, and being with him.
Eating a breakfast of healthily food in fact eating healthy local food
Eating and trying all the local fruit
A massage
I'd like to run, to see sights we perhaps couldn't do normally, plus to feel my muscles and lungs work and give me that fantastic fit feeling to go home with.
Getting more confident swimming in the sea.
Socialising with some friendly positive people that are fun to be with.
Ultimately to switch off, relax, laugh and smile.
Including a little exploring of the area.

Back to Bryan's Blog

Our first full day, we had two mossy machines plugged in and a mossy net, and they still got to bit Jackie, nice big juicy one right on the arse. Must be big and juicy, the arse that is.

Finally got up at 8am, after a night of ran it had finally stopped. So we donned on our running kit and headed out to find what we could find on our first day. We ran to the long beach, first adventure was how to cross the river that joined the sea, we could not see the bottom of the river so we where unsure how deep it was, knowing that where the waves broke it would be shallower, we
Praia da FazendaPraia da FazendaPraia da Fazenda

The fabulous beach of Praia da Fazenda, a 3km long shallow and quiet bay, can be reached in 15 minutes on foot or by kayak, or 3 minutes by power boat. It is ideal for jogging, hiking or learning to surf, on the friendly waves. Wild life thrives; you will discover many species of birds, rare orchids and strange plants in the fascinating mangrove that lines the shore. Some beaches can only be reached by boat, so they are totally pristine. Quite often, dolphins come and play in the waves of Praia Brava, one of the best surf spots, a well kept secret.
headed further out to sea and waded across the crest of the waves. Finally we crossed the river. We set out once again running on the beach, this time there was about 3km of sand and not a soul to be seen. I ran to the end and then back to Jackie, who was resting, however when I returned she was a little stressed and worried where I had gone, as the beach was so long she could no longer see me and worried.

We returned back to the river, as I was so hot I decide to just see how deep the centre of the river was, only to find out it came up to my waste. But the water was very fresh and cold, lovely after a long run. The sea was much warmer than the river.

Came back for breakfast, and oh what a lovely feast, so lovely, all fresh and gorgeous all healthy too. The sun came out about 9am, this morning and it is lovely to be lying in the sun a week after my 40th Birthday, enjoying the breathtaking views which you have just got to be here to see and enjoy.

Next day, Monday, we went for a boat trip with another couple out to a small island where we snorkelled, did not see too much, but it was nice to see such a lovely island, deserted beach and warm water.

For lunch we sailed to a small beach and ate at the Cashunut bar, had a lovely pumpkin filled with cheese and prawns, oh it was so nice. The day was over cast; however we did catch a bit of a sun tan through the clouds.

Tuesday we cared to miss, as it rained all day, I went for a swim around the bay, lovely and warm. Only swam for about 15 minutes. Afterwards we watch Casino Royale, oh what a film, not what I was expecting, more of a comedy than a James Bond film.

After a day staying in relaxing and teaching Jackie how to play chess, we went to bed early.

Next morning Jackie was not feeling too well, a water infection, so we went to Paraty to a chemist to get some anti-biotics. It was so easy got them with no trouble at all. It turned out to be a nice day, so we took it easy for the afternoon. I decided to go for a run, so I set off for the surf beach about 7k away, along the road and then down a steep hill to the beach. Upon arriving at the beach it was awesome, breath taking a huge beach with crashing waves and no body to be seen. Stayed for a while then headed back. Ran for about 1 hour 45 minutes, felt good but was getting a little tired towards the end.

Thursday, this has to have been our best day, we decided to go to the waterfalls, mainly by Frank and English student learning languages, as he had not been yet and he would come along and assist the guide. I don't know who was more excited about going him or us? The waterfalls were a treck through the rain forest, about 45 minutes over a single track road by 4x4 and then 30 minutes walk along a smaller track, so much to see.

When we reached the waterfalls, we of course had to go for a swim and get in to the falls, so powerful, but great fun all the same. Ate
WaterfallsWaterfallsWaterfalls

In the heart of the Rain Forest
lunch on the rocks of the falls, only to find out later we got bitten to death by the mosseys. We then headed back, on the way back we smelt a snake, what a stench, Frank went searching for it, but luckly he could not find it, thank goodness.

We did hear a toocan, but although I did find the tree it was in I could not find it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb