Bedlam at carnival


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Botafogo
February 27th 2006
Published: February 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Igassu FallsIgassu FallsIgassu Falls

from the argentinian side
Hello all, just a quick entry today as thought i would upload my photos from iggassu falls and give you a bit of an update on Carnival. Have been recovering today as it has bee a mad couple of days. Travelled from Paraty to Rio on Friday and left the dragoman group as we were doing our own thing for carnival. So to say goodbye, had a few too many vodkas and went to the red and black ball which is to celebrate football fever-the big brazilian football team flamengo whos colours are black and red. Had an excellent night (no phtos im afraid as took my disposable camera).
The next day we went to the football match at the marcarena stadium to watch flamengo play botafogo. We should really have supported botafogo since thats where we´re staying but since i still had black and red finger nails from the night before ad the crowd were going mental for flamengo-thats who we went for and they won 3-2. Really good atmosphere in the stadium. Just wish i could have understood all the songs they were chanting and dancing to.

That evening we went out with people from the hostel and wandered to a street party-bloco which was great too. Next day it was off to ipanema beach for a bit where we ran into more street parties-everywhere is mental. The highlight of the day though was the sambadrome on the evening which was amazing. Didnt really know what to expect but the whole atmosphere and vibe was great. We had loads of locals around us dancing like crazy to the samba beat. The parade went on all night with the last school performing at 5am!! It was daylight when we left the drome. Half way through the night the heavens opened and everyone got soaked but it was great as noone cared and we all just kept dancing.
So needless to say im starting to suffer from all the partying so going to have a night off tonight. Have been up to sugar loaf mountain today, wee bit cloudy so couldnt see christ the redeemer statue but going to go and head there another day.
Cannot believe we´re leaving this amazing continent already. Sorry mum and dad but ill be coming back!!
Hasta la vista chicas and chicos X



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The fallsThe falls
The falls

You can see the speedboat we went on at the bottom of the picture
Ipanema BeachIpanema Beach
Ipanema Beach

I could get used to this view!
At the Carnival, Rio 2006At the Carnival, Rio 2006
At the Carnival, Rio 2006

Thanks kat for the xmas pressie the mask came in useful!
One of the many floats we saw!One of the many floats we saw!
One of the many floats we saw!

This just doesnt capture the atmosphere!


27th February 2006

allo nz
fab photos again
28th February 2006

Brilliant!
Hey it looks amazing! so glad you got a use out of the mask! your pics are fantastic and sounds like you're having a wicked time - its made me really want to go to south america anyway! take care m'dear, miss you chickadee! Kat xxx
2nd March 2006

Hello love, hope you're ok. Miss you lots and wish was there. Keep having fun without hammocks love kate x x x
9th March 2006

Wish I was there
You are certainly packing a lot into your time but it all looks wonderful...no wonder you want to go back...it seems it is one long party...sorry you may have a bit of a "quiet" time with us...chance for your back to recover. Our house is nearly ready...

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb