Ilha Grande, Paraty and Iguazu falls


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
March 11th 2012
Published: March 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

A basic idea


Additional maps: Untitled

After leaving Rio we joined forces with Mike and Tamsin (a lovely english couple), and made our way over to the Island paradise of Ilha Grande. It is a rather large island with no roads and no cars. The main activities are hiking, boat tours and beaches. After jumping off our unreliable boat, alana and paul walked down the beach and up some hills to their lovely hostel. We bluffed our way into an all you can eat buffet and had three plates between the six of us (and various street cats and dogs). Our dinner on the headland turned into a night club and after a couple of drinks we got our shake on.



The next day we took an hour long boat ride through some magic scenery (as the photos will show). A 30 minute hike through the jungle led us to the famous Lopez Mendez beach, where paul had his first surf in 3 months!!!!! Chilling on the beach and body surfing was the aim of the day and as the sun started to set me made our way back through the jungle where we bumped into some curious monkeys (we were probably more curious of them than they of us.). The next day, a hike to a waterfall was on the cards, so in 36 degree heat, we lugged it 6km through the jungle to a refreshing waterfall. Paul found a rock slide at the top and after a few hours of sliding down slippery rocks we were ready for our 6km hike back. A private boat trip to the "blue lagoon" (not really a lagoon and sadly had a oil rig 2km in the back ground) was the adventure for our final day.

We bailed from our island paradise with the aim of getting to the famous iguazu falls. After some "winging" it, we found that the buses were all full and we ended up staying in a town called paraty which was beautiful. Another crazy waterfall day followed with an even buigger rock slide!!!!! Then a night waiting for our bus on the street playing cards. We made it to Sao Paulo and spent the day checking it out before we boarded the BUS FROM HELL and spent 16 unhappy hours!!!!

We got to the brazilian side of Iguazu falls in the morning at it was amazing!!!! words cannot describe it so check out the pictures............. We made it into Argentina that afternoon......to keep you on your toes we ended up having a somewhat illegal stint in paraguy!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to run guys, blog you soon!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st March 2012

Flying fox delight
The photos of the flying foxes brought back memories of the colonies roosting around our house- be careful of the diseases they carry!! The rock slide looked like a vast improvement on Currumbin rocks

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb