Recife and Olinda, Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Recife
January 12th 2008
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 12th Jan Ship Time 1400hrs Home Time 1700hrs
Temperature today was 27c at 0700hrs rising to around 30c at midday.

Ok, where was I? Ah yes, we were at sea up until 0800hrs on Friday 11th when we berthed at Recife in Brazil. Recife, the capital of the state of Pernambuco, is situated on the Atlantic coast of northeast Brazil at the confluence of the Capibaribe and Beberibe rivers. With a population of some 1.4 million, it is the largest city in this part of the country and the 8th largest in Brazil. The name Reclife comes from the barrier reef that protects the beaches. The state of Pernambuco is slightly larger than Portugal. The first synagogue was in the Americas was first opened in Recife in 1640.

Recife is often called the 'Venice of Brazil' because of its many waterways and bridges. It is the nearest Brazilian port to Africa and Europe. Recife and neighboring Olinda claim to have an even better carnival than Rio de Janeiro. The outstanding Brazilian footballer, Rivaldo, was born in Recife on 19th April 1972.

We took a tour around Recife and Olinda during the morning, the temperature must have been at least 30c as our shirts were soaked. Our first stop was to see the parliamentary buildings. In the square of the buildings was this tree called the 'upside down tree' seen in the picture. Forgot the correct name.

On we went to what used to be their prison, a model of the prison as in picture, and is now a shopping arcade. All the shops are situated within what used to be the cells, the only change that appears to have been made is that they now have a lift for tourists to get from level to level. Brenda and I were put into the stocks within the prison but using my skills, we managed to escape.

After the prison tour we did a bit of shopping in the local market. We had to help one of our passengers do a bit of haggling, and can you guess from the picture who this lady passenger is? The older, or should I say more matured of us, that includes you Eileen, will obviously recognize her. It is none other than Diana Moran, the Green Goddess of the early days of breakfast TV.

We rested up in the afternoon as we were somewhat shattered by the heat. After a couple of drinks, coke that is, we had a fabulous dinner then to the show. Saw this guy called Andre who was a bit of a cockney lad. He was a comedian come Illusionist, something on the lines of Tommy Cooper. Was very good and looking forward to seeing him again.

This morning, believe it or not, I actually did three and a half miles around the deck, When I get back none of you will recognize me. Brenda did her line dancing as there is a Hoedown coming up soon and those doing the dancing will be performing, will keep you posted on this one. We have just finished our free lunch, given for all that are doing the complete trip, Southampton to Southampton. Apart from the excellent food, the wine was flowing freely and needless to say we had our fair share. I will be finding a quiet spot this afternoon, resting and sleeping the booze off so that we can be prepared to start again this evening, oh what a life.

At sea now until Wednesday morning, when we get two stops in a row, Buzious and Rio, so you will hear from me after these stops unless anything exciting happens.

PS Forget the dates on the pics as forgot to reset camera after changing batteries.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.504s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb