The Carnival Atmosphere Continued on the Way to Recife, Brazil


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Recife
February 23rd 2023
Published: February 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Day at Sea Aboard MS VolendamDay at Sea Aboard MS VolendamDay at Sea Aboard MS Volendam

The Day After the Pool Party, Oi Brasil Was Giving Dancing and Music Lessons – Here “Learn to Play Samba”
First, on Wednesday, February 22, 2023 (our day at sea), while we made our way from Salvador Da Bahia, Brazil to Recife, Brazil, the Oi Brasil group was busy providing complementary dance and music lessons to anyone with the stamina and/or coordination to participate. The list of “Learn to XXX” sessions on Wednesday included, “Learn to Play Samba,” “Learn to Dance Gafiera” and “Learn to Dance Samba.” Some members of the Oi Brasil group will stay aboard ship for the entire time we are in Brazil offering more “Learn to XXX” lessons. That should be fun.

Recife, Brazil, our port of call on Thursday, February 23, 2023, has a population of 1,653,461 but hosts the fourth-largest urban area in Brazil with 4,054,866 inhabitants (both 2020 figures). It is the capital and largest city in the state of Pernambuco in the northeast corner of South America. Recife was founded in 1537, during the early Portuguese colonization of Brazil, as the main harbor of Pernambuco, known for its large-scale production of sugar cane. It also was the former capital of Mauritsstad of the 17th century colony of New Holland of Dutch Brazil, established by the Dutch West India Company. Its name is an allusion to the stone reefs that are present by the city's shores. The many rivers, small islands and over 50 bridges found in Recife city center characterize its geography and led to the city being called "Brazil’s Venice." Known both for its beaches and for its historic sites, dating back to both the Portuguese and the Dutch colonization of the region, Recife stands out as a major tourist attraction in the Northeast. In Brazil, Recife is second only to São Paulo in medical facilities and is known as a medical hub with modern hospitals with state-of-the-art equipment serving patients from several neighboring states. The city hosted the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup and the 1950 FIFA World Cup and was one of the host cities of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. The Historic Centre of Olinda, 4.3 miles north of the city of Recife, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1982, and Brazilian Carnivals in both cities are among the world's most famous.

I elected to take the shore excursion, “Recife & Historic Olinda.” From the Holland America web site, “A charming feature of this must-see tour is that it crosses many of Recife's graceful bridges and
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

Teatro SantaIsabel (Saint Isabel Theatre) Shot from Republic Square
passes along Boa Viagem Beach -- a favorite with the locals. From Republic Square, take photos of the Justice Hall, St Isabel Theatre and the Governor's Mansion, which houses the city's administrative offices. You'll visit Casa da Cultura -- a former prison turned handicraft market. The old cells are now individual stores. Take advantage of 30 minutes here to shop and immerse yourself in the history and culture of Recife. Drive by motorcoach four miles north to the colonial city of Olinda, founded by the Portuguese in 1537 and now a National Monument of Brazil. In 1982, Olinda became a UNESCO World Heritage site, leading to a full restoration of this once-proud city. Zoning rules now restrict redevelopment and preserve the remaining pastel-colored stucco buildings, colonial lattice and heavy, intricately carved doors. Many of the quaint houses are adorned with delicate balconies overlooking the narrow streets. You'll see the Church of Our Lady of Mercy -- a magnificent sample of Baroque art -- and step inside the Sé Cathedral for a postcard-perfect view of Olinda and Recife. Admire from the outside the Convento São Francisco -- the first Franciscan Convent in Brazil. Hidden among coconut trees, it was rebuilt between 1715 and 1754 and is still home to many monks. You will visit the Monastery of St Benedict -- an important Catholic architectural complex also built in Baroque style. A highlight of your guided tour is the Golden Chapel. Built between 1696 and 1724, this Baroque chapel is one of Brazil's most beautiful examples of religious architecture. Notes: Access to the heart of Olinda is by shuttle van. Terrain includes cobblestones and inclines. Wear comfortable walking shoes. Not advisable for guests using a wheelchair or for those with mobility limitations. Shade is limited; to avoid sunburn, wear light, long clothing suitable for use as a cover-up. Bring a hat and sunglasses; wear biodegradable sunscreen. Bring bottled water. Tour does not operate on holidays. Tour duration may be extended and there may be traffic delays due to Carnival.”

Just as the descriptor says, the tour began with the entire group on a full-sized coach but part way through we divided into three groups and proceeded by van to the next point of interest. There was no narration on the vans, which served strictly as a means of getting from Point A to Point B. That was a good thing, because
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

Statues in Republic Square Commemorate Brazil’s History
our tour guide was one of the two best shore excursion guides I’ve had during the entire cruise. He withheld his monologue while the group was split and resumed when all were reassembled. Nice. Both Recife and Olinda are interesting cities and worthy of a visit if in the area for some other reason, like a cruise ship stop, but collectively they don’t reach “holiday destination” status for foreigners, in my opinion. Recife is more cosmopolitan and Olinda is more quaint, as the “historic” label in the tour title implies, but Recife has the beach. If on a cruise, this shore excursion is a good value, but remember, timing (the assigned tour guide) is everything.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

Casa da Cultura de Pernambuco (House of Culture) – A Preserved Original Prison Cell
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

Casa da Cultura de Pernambuco (House of Culture) – Cells Are Now Vendors’ Booths
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

Convento São Francisco (Convent of San Francisco)
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

Convento São Francisco (Convent of San Francisco)
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

Convento São Francisco (Convent of San Francisco)
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil
“Recife & Historic Olinda” Shore Excursion – Recife/Olinda, Brazil

View from Convento São Francisco (Convent of San Francisco)


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb