Montevideo to Salto to Iguassu


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Paraná » Foz do Iguaçu
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Holy Moly

What has happened since we last spoke you ask heaps!!!!!!!!!!!!

To start with when we where leaving our hotel in Montevideo a lady on our tour decided that this was a good time to just run off and leave the tour without telling anybody. There was a real disbelief within the group, firstly because she didnt tell anyone and just left without a guide book or any maps and also because she didnt speak any spanish!! We left Montevideo on a 6 hour bus trip to Salto this turned out to be very boring as Uruguay loves to farm animals and basically nothing else. Although eucaplyptus tree plantations seem to be very popular- our own bit of Australia in Uruguay........

Salto was a great little town but the highlight was the thermal baths, these are the biggest in uruguay and the complex has heaps of pools that are all different temperatures with ones that are nice to swim around in to ones that nearly scald you when you get in. We left Salto on after a day at the spas to get out night bus to Iguassu Falls.

The bus was an experience in itself as apparenty the bus driver was part polar bear and decided that it was a good idea to recreate its natural environment within the bus. Needless to say- we were FUCKIN FREEZING!!!!! Triona menaged to convince one of the gentlemenlly men on our tour to give her his blanket. but peter had to FREEZE!! there was only three people on the bus who did not receive a blanket (peter among them). We were shaking ourselves awake as we were shivering ourselves to sleep. Comfort wise though, the bus was quite comfy- big seats and a tele (showing films in english with spanish subtitles).

Eventually we ended our trip in Foz de Iguazu which was a town near iguazu falls. These falls were absolutely amazing- i do not even know how to describe how awesome they were!!! Hopefully the pictures below will give you some idea as to how nice they were- although they still do not give them any justice!!!!!!!
We spent two days at Iguazu, the first day we went to the argentinian side. The second- to the brazilian side. the second day was the best!!!! we went on a boat which went around the waterfalls and even under some of them!!! Ill let the photos do the talking about iguazu falls!!!! If you are ever thinking of coming to S. America- make sure that you get to iguazu!!

We also ventured to a bird park. Peter nearly never left!!!!! We got to hold a blue macaw. We also saw lots of toucans etc. Also check out the photos of that.

Our final day in this area was our shopping day in Ciudad de este in Paraguay, lonely planet lists this as the most corrupt town in S America, which proved to be 100% correct the only way for aussies to get in was over the crowded bridge which was full of people all looking very very dodgy. When crossing the bridge we were told to be quiet and this didnt prove to hard as there seemed to be numerous characters roaming about with machine guns. When we got into the town there was people selling stuff everywhere and they were all very pushy, peter attracted every beard trimmer salesman in town with some even trying to give us a free demonstration on the street. The place was great to buy electrical goods but the security guards in every store some with small machine guns and the rest with shot guns made the idea of a relaxed shopping day seem odd. The highlight of the day for peter was when a lady in one of the stores let him play with a stun gun which she was trying to sell for 30 dollars US what a bargain!!

Well thats all for now guys we will update asap but we are running along way behind on our blog so we have some atching up to do.

all the best
Pete and Tree





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

More fallsMore falls
More falls

A few years ago a lady slipped over the edge of the falls where the guard rail is in the bottom of the photo so they had to change the fence in this spot it about 80m down to the bottom of the falls from here
The view from our boatThe view from our boat
The view from our boat

The boatdrove right under the waterfall on the right which was unreal


10th December 2006

Coconut drink
that photo of you drinking the coconut water reminds me of our adventures drinking kava at your cousins place.......

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb