Welcome to Uruaguy colonia to montevideo


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello again

Our adventure has reached urugauy or as Homer Simpson would call it´u r gay´ . Uruguay is a restfull backwater in South America where the people pride themselves on being calm and not hot headed latina types. It is also different as in many places the people only speak spanish and not the variant Spanglish in which we seem to have become fairly proficient.
We caught a huge ferry across the river de plata from buenos aires and our first night in urugauy was spent in a place callled Colonia. Where not much seems to happen.
We went to a traditional Uruguan farm where we learnt about cheese, wine etc and ride horses which was a good laugh, especially when one of the horses bit a guy on the tour, luckily he was ok but it didnt really matter as everyone was laughing to much to help him.
The town of colonia was quite pretty with cobblestone streets and old school lamps. We all went out at night and the town reminded us of one of those old jack the ripper movies set in England 400 years ago which is hardly suprising considering it was built in 1650.

The next day we left to go to Montivideo which is an interesting place and as we were there over the weekend we set our sights firmly on the clubs about 50 metres from our hotel. The street infront of the hotel was closed at 6pm every night to allow people to go nuts and drink outside on the street. The first night we went to this club just down the road we had been told it was pretty good and within about 10 min of our arrival we weren´t disappointed as we turned around to see a girl swinging from the roof via a ribbon and doing all sorts of flips and twirls all of which were incredibly impressive. All this excitment caused Peter to smash his glass all over the bar. The club was unbelievable with everyone just going berserk South American style.
It is really wierd over here as people dont go out until really late with the peak of the night occuring around 3-30am and then it slowly winding down till about 7am. The club was also great as at various intervals the bar tenders would jump up on the bar and pour spirits into your mouth a trick which made everyone go even more crazy.
The next day we went to Punta de Leste a beach town in Urugauy which meant to be the business however on arrival it didnt really have much on most aussie beaches but was a good place to practice our soccer and general south americaness before heading to Rio.

The city of montevideo itself is pretty cool however there was an underlying seedyness. We went to this restuarant where they served Parilla racks which we shared between 3 people and still couldnt get through the photo below should give you some idea and that was only 1/3 of the meal all for about 6 dollars Australian. I think that this is what heaven would be like for monkey....
The City of Montevideo has a giant statue of the hero of Uruguay Hose Herbajio Artiguas and people think he is the greatest ever it will be interesting to see if Australia ever puts up a statue of John Howard riding a horse we can only hope!!!!! It seems to be a common thing in South America with many countries having giant monuments to the liberator.

In the next
The Urugyan parliament The Urugyan parliament The Urugyan parliament

Inside parts of the roof are made out of gold.
few days we will be heading to the Igaussu Falls which should be unreal as it is the largest collection of waterfalls in the world with over 200 of them.

Hope you are all well and let us know whats is going on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Uruguayan parilla rackUruguayan parilla rack
Uruguayan parilla rack

This was 1/3 of our meal with the whole meal cooked over hot coals in an open kitchen.


11th December 2006

jealous
looks wicked guys, keep taking the awesome photos!
24th December 2006

Ouch
"one of the horses bit a guy on the tour," OUCH, I can't imagine being bitten by a horse on the tour. Hey guys, just catching up with everybody else in the blog (I'm way behind).

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb