anyone for a SANDwhich


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Maranhão » Barreirinhas
November 13th 2006
Published: November 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

10th november- 13th november



We land to Barreirinhas, lounge in our hammocks in our pousada (name given to the accomodation here in north Brazil). it was located by the riverfront...ideal for my continued life as a lazy traveller!
we headed out in the afternoon, in a dune buggy, traversing the sandy terrain, crossing rivers on bargos that are man powered (cant understand why they have realised the invention of motorised pulleys!). Finally descending down on the picturesque Parque Nacional Lençois Marrenhias.




Imagine this....beautiful white sand, rolling impressions created by the surrounding winds. Turqouise lagoons set among the sand dunes, created in the rainy season, and never becoming dry. We swam in the lagoons, walked bare foot on the cotton sand, managed to get sand in places unamginable. ate fruit from the wild tress that somehow grew in this desolate landscape.




Then in the evening, we mounted the hills and watched the sun setting over another magical brazilian landscape.




The second day was spent leisurly on a boat that took us past mangroves, through canals in the river, visiting remote communities along the river. We landed at Cabure, a town situated on a small peninsula, where one side was bordered by the river, and another 200metres on the other side, you find the pacific ocean. another lazy day was spent on the beach tanning!






Having spent a saturday night in the small town of Barreirinhas, we were taken out by our 17yo guide to experience the nightlife. Like everywhere, i later came to realise, Forro ruled supreme (a dance best described as a combination between Salsa and Lambada)- fast and sexy. we got the local girls to teach us to dance, who were only to pleased to teach us left footed failing forro dancers...clearly for their own amusement.

What i found surprising was the presence of young children at these places, who were witnesses to the raunchy stage shows of forro...its a cultural thing and accepted. one of many little stange things i was coming to learn about in Brazil.





We headed by 4wheel drive jeep to Jericocoara, driving on all forms of terrain- sand dunes, dirt roads, paved roads, rivers, and finally driving the long stretch of beach to Jericocoara. i never get sick of hearing the lapping waves delivered whistfully to shore...



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

famous for its lagoons between the dunesfamous for its lagoons between the dunes
famous for its lagoons between the dunes

built up over the rainy season, they remain through out the year, progresively getting smaller
leavin my steps behindleavin my steps behind
leavin my steps behind

but swept away in seconds by the winds


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb