Living life dangerously...


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

About halfway downAbout halfway downAbout halfway down

This is the original 'death road' about half way down when we were going through rainforest.
Hey all

Does anyone fancy spending the day hooning down a narrow one-lane rocky road, with trucks and buses heading in both directions?

And at the same time, you're plunging down 3,600 meters, passing by snow-capped mountains of the Bolivian Andes, rocky cliffs(with 3,000m drops) as well as lush, sub-tropical rainforest before ending up in a sleepy old town?

There was also some fog thrown in for good measure, which was just as well as it momentarily obscured our view of the thousand-foot drop-off just a few feet from our tire tracks...

Welcome to the world's most dangerous road - a 64km road which links La Paz to Coroico.

I did it and it was amazing! It has got to be one of my highlights and I would definately recommend it to all, especially all you mountain bike lovers out there...

Another one of my highlights was visiting the salt flats in Uyuni - somewhere that I was inspired to visit 2 years ago. The flats are 6,000 square miles of blinding and dramatic white salt desert, with a couple of mountains in the background for scenery purposes.

We had a wonderful afternoon taking
Having fun on the salt flatsHaving fun on the salt flatsHaving fun on the salt flats

Everyone in the group spelling Bolivia. We stole the idea from another group....
a godzillion photos of us posing with objects such as wine and ketchup bottles - we could make ourselves look tiny against such objects, before it was time to watch the sunset, when the tempeture just plummeted and we almost froze to death.

Also while in Bolivia, we visited a local silver mine, which was awesome but lets just say that safety is not paramount there.... as well as staying with a family in Amantani Island (Lake Titicaca), where we attempted to play football at 4,000m, which is much harder than you think.

While its the poorest country in SA, I absolutely loved it!! Its rough and very raw around the edges but the people are just fascinating to watch.

Off to eat some more guinea pig for dinner now...yum yum. (yes they just lie on the plate with a wicked smile on their faces and their legs nicely curled up).

Till next time,
Brooke

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb