Fast, efficient travel Bolivian style....


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia
June 1st 2007
Published: June 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kick-offKick-offKick-off

A heated contest ensued
The bus trip from Cusco to La Paz started out just like any other bus trip. The only notable thing about the first leg was the cold, of which I was acutely aware seeing as I was wearing sandals and didn't have any socks. Quite literally, the fun and games started when we got to the Peru-Bolivia border.

Exiting Peru was quick and painless. We just got a stamp in our passport, changed our Peruvian Soles for Bolivian Bolivianos, and then crossed the border by foot and waited for our bus to follow so we could reboard and get back on our way to La Paz. Having never experienced Bolivian immigration officials before, I wasn't to know that my expectation of a simple wait of 5 minutes tops should have factored in a 40 minute time premium for a soccer match. You read correctly. To my utter bemusement, the Bolivian officials closed the border and refused to let the bus through until 7 male passengers played a high intensity game of soccer against them in the no-mans-land between the exit from Peru and the entrance to Bolivia. What an introduction to the country it was.

When the passengers eventually triumphed, I was concerned that the result may be cause for us all to be refused entry to Bolivia. Fortunately, the immigration officials were gracious losers and we were allowed to proceed on our way. Crossing Lake Titicaca an hour or so later was another interesting experience. We had to get off the bus and cross over in a leaky boat, and from the other side we watched as our bus was floated over on a barge. The precarious angle the bus sat on the barge didn't fill me with confidence, but it made it safely to the other side.

We ended up getting to La Paz about 4 hours later than we were supposed to, but I was left with the distinct impression that this was pretty good going by Bolivian standards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Time outTime out
Time out

The game always stalled when the ball rolled down into Peruvian territory
A streakerA streaker
A streaker

This dog got a few kicks
The Bolivian endThe Bolivian end
The Bolivian end

With Lake Titicaca in the background
On Lake TiticacaOn Lake Titicaca
On Lake Titicaca

The one on the left is my ride


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb