Flies on my face while i type


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Uyuni
March 4th 2007
Published: March 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We just finished our three day adventure through the south west corner of Bolivia. Let me back up for a moment. In San Pedro de Atacama, an adventure wonderland, we visited the highest geyer field in the world, Geyers del Tatio, for sunrise. The steam at that hour of the day is at it´s strongest. inside the geyser holes, I´m sure Mark knows the correct term for this, is algea and micro-organism... perhaps the first to every inhabit the planet. Near the geyers was a hot springs that i bravely decided to dip in to. just as i was decending the wall into the warm water a naked german man jumped out of the pool. a little too much german for 8am.
In the afternoon we went on a hike through a salt gorge...caves, walls, paths...everything was salt! Next on to the Valley of the moon for sunset. Anthony hiked up the doon with 300 other tourist to sit in the sand and watch the sun set behind rock formations that truly look like they belong on the moon.

7.30am friday we awoke in panic. our trusty $1 alarm clock had failed us. i guess that´s what you get for a buck. we rushed to pack and meet our group for the treck into bolivia.
I don´t have enough time and the flies are driving me nuts to explain everything we saw. in a nut shell we drove on a dirt ´road´ (a dirt path filled with rocks, normally not a washboard but at times it was) for three full days stopping at volcanós, high alpine lakes filled with borax, arsenic and all sorts of crazy chems, interesting rocks and in the end we passed through the 12000 square km salar de uyuni.

This site has proved too slow to upload the photos so i plan to post them on kodak´s easyshare website.

hope this finds you all well.
we are boarding an overnight bus to La Paz now and will arrive first thing in the morning (12 hours, $8...not bad)

take care,
maggie


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb