Bus ride from hell, hostel from heaven, we thought..


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was to be a day of killing time, in which we booked our bus to La Paz for the same evening and buying some souvenir jumpers. We also played a little Louis Theroux and covertly took photos of traditionally dressed Bolivian ladies carrying their children on their backs using sheets of brightly coloured material.

We were a bit surprised to find that the twelve hour bus ride only cost the equivalent of 10 pounds, although we soon realised why. When we arrived at the bus station I noticed that the bus was more like a huge Jeep in the shape of a bus with massive gaps between the wheels and the bus, meaning there was going to be a rough ride ahead, and there was. At one point I’m pretty sure I was lifted nearly a foot into the air, probably because of the holes in the road, which was unpaved, but this was not the worst part. We weren’t expecting fully reclinable seats or the champagne we were offered on the route to Bariloche, but because we had picked the seats at the back we couldn’t recline them at all. There was also the heat from the engine coming through at the back, so it was too hot to put our feet down on the floor, you can see why we didn’t sleep a minute on that bus. On the up side we happened to be sharing the bus with Matt, who we had met earlier in Bariloche, and Tatiana who was travelling with Matt.
In the morning we shared a taxi and looked for a hostel together. At this point we discovered how they have been travelling the world with a budget of only 6000 euros, by debating over 5 Bolivianos which actually grew a little tedious. We eventually decided on a basic place called Hostel Austria, which was restful and quiet, just what we needed at the moment. Sleep, sleep, sleep..


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

My new llama jumperMy new llama jumper
My new llama jumper

and cheap sun glasses from chile


16th May 2009

jumper
i really want one!!!
16th May 2009

I thought you might say that!
I´m sure I can squeeze one into my backpack for you ;)

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb