Day 38


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

With the altitude being so high the air was pretty thin so we all slept terribly in our salt beds with no electricity! We headed off for the volcano that was behind the hostel at 7:30 and hiked up it to around 4200m. There was snow at the top and the air was so thin so breathing was pretty hard going! Getting to the peak you could view the different colours of the volcano and the views of the salt flat were unreal, it looked like a sea.

After a few hours of hiking we headed back to the hostel to get lunch and load up the Jeep before leaving for the salt flat eyes. This is where the salt flat breathes and bubbles come from the earth and rise through small puddles in the salt.

From there we headed back across the salt flat to Uyuni where we waited for our bus...

We had paid extra to get a 'cama bus', this means comfortable seats, leg rests, air con etc. When we turned up the bus looked like it had just driven around the world and getting on it was a mission in itself, the isles were narrow and cramped, the seats were uncomfortable and narrow, and i've seen more legroom on bmi baby!

Once we left we thought that heading to La Paz there would at least be a real road... how wrong could we be! The road resembled a dirt track with huge rocks, humps and bumps all the for about 14 hours with the bus reversing too many times to remember when it left the track!!

We were informed that there was a toilet on board so Craig wanted to try it out after about half an hour of off road driving, are you nuts, pee will be everywhere! Well, when he got to the toilet there was no light or lock on the door, plus the bumps made his experience not so enjoyable for him but rather amusing for me and Ross!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb