Day 37


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We rolled out of bed and waiting for our trek to start, it is a 4x4 tour of the salt flats. At 11am we set off and the 1st destination was a train graveyard, it was so strange but really cool. You could just jump from battered old train to another taking pictures along the way!

Then we hit the road (or off road!) for half an hour or so where we hit the salt flat dessert. The views of this place are amazing, you can't see the horizon for salt, the reflections are blinding but you will never see anything like this! The sun was blasting down and we stopped for pictures and to take in where we were.

From there we headed to Incahuasi, an island in the middle of the salt flat. It was really strange with little vegetation, but just cacti everywhere. Hiking to the top was pretty hard work as we were 3670m above see level.

Then we headed to our hostel, based at the bottom of a volcano on the edge of the salt flat, it looked like something that resembled a cow shed! The building was made of salt and so were the beds!


Advertisement



2nd April 2009

Wow!
That is a really awesome story! Hope you enjoy your next vacation!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb